Sunday, October 12, 2008

cleaning lady?

Some days I think I'd like to hire a cleaning lady. When I sit and think about the odds-n-ends cleaning "projects" that I'd like to do, I realize my list just goes on and on. Not to mention that about the time I'd actually get the list done, then I'd have to start over. Recently, I FINALLY got the blinds and windows cleaned in our house, something that I've been meaning to do all summer. So I cross that off my to do list and start to think the list is starting to look pretty short (Hah!). I took a moment today to think of what I need to add to the list and here is what I can think of right off hand: vacuum/sweep the basement floor, paint the hallway/upstairs bedroom, put in the new linoleum floor, dust and vacuum upstairs, wash/iron/rehang the curtains, clean off the top of the fridge, sweep/mop under the stove and fridge, clean the carpets, vacuum out my car, clean out the garage, wipe down the kitchen walls (where the food splatters), wash down Wendell's toys, go through the black cabinet on the porch, go through my cupboards, better yet, go through all the storage tubs in the basement, clean out the computer hutch, get out my Halloween decorations, update Wendell's baby book... now here is Phil's list: rake the leaves, tear out the garden, can some more pickle relish. Not to mention our "normal weekly to do list": vacuum, sweep, dishes, spot clean the bathroom, take out the trash, pick up after Wendell (and ourselves), laundry, did I mention dishes (we have two dishwashers - my two hands), give Wendell a bath (Phil's job), take my own shower/get dressed, cook, exercise, keep Wendell occupied/out of trouble ... right now I'm lucky if I've showered and put on clean clothes by the end of the day let alone crossed something off my list. So what's on your to do list? Would you ever hire a cleaning lady?

4 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Yep, I too have thought about hiring a cleaning lady. The cleaning list never ends and a maid would take away so much stress. How about we try this. Beyond the normal day to day things like dishes, laundry etc. We both take half an hour to focus as much as possible on a cleaning project and we report back to each other on what we accomplished. This would make us accountable and help to cross things off the list. Even if you only get one curtain or own room's carpet cleaned in a day, we will slowly but surely cross items of our list together. What do you think?

Heather's Henhouse said...

Sounds good! 30 minutes seems pretty easy. I might even be able to do it with the wee one awake. I think if we're successful then we should have a reward as an incentive. Any ideas?

Becky Bartlett said...

Now that I'm staying home, I also have a giant list of projects I'd love to do around the house. And am now finding out that the time to do them will be scarce... especially if I spend my time looking at friend's blogs!! :)

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I'd much rather read blogs, too! ;o) I haven't considered hiring a cleaning lady, but I also have a long list of "deep cleaning" projects that need to get done. Our windows/screens never got washed this summer. The ceiling fan blades are really dusty. Etc. I can't seem to keep up on the "regular" housework, either, but I think it's more a lack of motivation/energy than time lately. Maybe someday I'll get one or two things done. But today I think I need a nap...;o)