Saturday, February 27, 2010

boring?

INTRO:
I'm sorry if my triathlon updates are boring but they are exiting to me. I like to share them with you and document my progress. Some day I will look back on this and be amazed by the story behind it all. So, without further ado (whatever that means) here is my latest update.

SOMETHING DIFFERENT:
Today I tried something different. First of all, I'm happy to report that my form for swimming is coming right along. I think I have come a long way in the last few weeks since I started. I know I have to build some muscle and then increase my time and that takes practice. But today I went for about 8 laps without stopping and did so with decent form. I wasn't overly fast but I was still able to do it and had a good rhythm. I'm guessing I swam about 20 laps total, some focusing more on my arms and some on my legs. So I swam for 30 minutes then rinsed off in the shower, changed clothes and ran upstairs to the run track (which is about 4-5 flights of stairs so I was quite winded by the time I got to the top). Then I proceeded to run for 30 minutes. I'm guessing I was at a 11-12 minute pace (which is about average for me). So although I didn't do the full 3 miles (just shy by a few minutes/laps), I reached my goal. So what did I do that was so special? I swam 30 min. and then ran 30 min. back to back. Soon, I might incorporate some bike riding but need to check out their bikes at the RP. I'm not really excited to ride a stationary bike but I'm not quite ready to go out in 30 degree weather either (even though I did see a kid out on his bike today).

UPCOMING TRI:
One more comment on the upcoming triathlon. If I go to the Cornman triathlon in Gladbrook then I'm looking at 500 meter swim (or about 1/3 of a mile). At RP, a mile = 52 laps so by my calculations, I need to swim 17 laps to equal the 500 meter swim. So, I have some work to do. Maybe next time I'll shoot to do 10-12 laps without stopping, then 15, then 17. I will probably only do back to back workouts on the weekends when I have more time.

PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE:
And for anyone who doesn't know me well, then you should know that about 2 years ago, Phil (my sweet honey bee) and I went on a major life change expedition and we lost A LOT of weight. Maybe not Biggest Loser weight but enough to to consider it significant (I lost about 50-60 lbs). So anyways, 2 years ago we lost weight, last year I had a baby (gained weight), this fall/winter I lost my baby weight and am officially down to pre-preggo weight (yeah!). In fact, I'm excited to say that I'm losing weight again. I'm already met my original goal (squeezing into a size 12 pair of jeans) and now I need to dream again. Technically I'm still considered overweight for my height so I'm going to shoot to loose another 20-30 lbs. I remember the first time I was weighted in junior high for my 7th grade physical. I weight 140 and I was HORRIFIED. Now of course I dream of weighing that again. I plan to go to the doc. soon to get my blood checked out (iron and cholesterol) so hopefully she can give me an idea of a healthy weight for me and appropriate goal.

CLOSE:
One last thing.. I'm thinking about becoming a personal trainer. I never dreamed I'd ever go down this path but it just so happens that I know someone who recently became one and he gave me the general details of what it entails and I'm super excited to learn more. I know this would be a long term goal (right now I'm more focused on my family) but I still would love to learn about all the aspects of it - physical exercise, eating right, etc. I think now that I've lost weight, I want to help others do it too.

We'll see where God sends me!!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Bardal said...

Glad to hear you are feeling & seeing the results of your training, Heather! Wish I had your drive!!

Do you know Amy Lynch from OH? She is just finishing up her personal training certification & might have some good advice or ideas...just a thought.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I love following your journey! You & Phil have done such a great job making healthy lifestyle choices. It will provide life-long benefits as well as have a generational impact!

I think you would make a great personal trainer!