Sunday, August 28, 2011

new batch of books

In the past few months I've realized how important it is that I have a good fiction book on hand.  I've tried non fiction and for the most part.. they don't keep my attention.  So I continue to read when I can and here are some of the latest that I consider worthy of reporting on.


These Is My Words by Nancy Turner Heather's comments: this one was recommended by a Sarah who loved it, but I would consider it an average read.  I didn't LOVE it but glad to read it.  It's a diary of a women who lived during the Oregon Trail days.  (Please note: I love recommendations!!)
The Covenant by Panos Karnezis Heather's comments:  a soap opera at a covenant, it was okay but it could have been better in my opinion.
Lipstick in Afghanistan by Roberta Gately Heather's comments: a good read, it's a story of a lady who goes to Afghanistan to volunteer as a nurse and it's her story, it gives you some incite into what is happening over there (one of those where you hope it's based on truth, and not "American truth")
The Red Thread by Ann Hood Heather's comments: one of the saddest books I've ever ready but very good, it's about all the people involved in the adoption of girls over in China who are given up for adoption - it included the stories of the adoptive moms/dads, the parents who gave up their daughters, and the lady in charge of the adoption agency (who had her own tragic story).  If you don't mind a good cry this book is worth the read.
The Quickening by Michelle Hoover Heather's comments: this one was another average read... a kind of frustrating but "real" ending.  It's about two women neighbors during the depression and how they dealt with life.


Anyways.. I'm onto a new batch of books so hopefully I'll have more reports for you.  Hopefully I will wrap up the next two I have and make another big trip to the library.  I love being able to go and browse alone (usually I pick up about 5 so I have a few in case some don't work out).... going to the library alone is one of those moments that I get some me time and get to relax.  Sometimes I wish I had a wheelchair or a wheely computer chair so I could just browse comfortably as it gets tiring standing that whole time.    


Let me know if you have any recommendations!  



No comments: