Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

Why is Easter important? I kind of feel like this subject can be uncomfortable to talk with to people that I'm not close with or that I don't talk about my faith with. But I also think it's important to be prepared/ready to answer a question like that. After listening to our church service on Saturday night it made me think about why Easter is important. Most people know the history: Jesus has the last supper, dies on the cross, then a few days later comes back to earth alive and well. I'm not sure if any of you have seen the Passion of the Christ (we own it if you want to borrow it) but I've only seen it twice. The first time was before Wendell and the second time after and I must say that having my own child makes a huge difference in how I view what happened to Mary during those few days. There is Jesus' story and Mary's story and they are both so different. So anyways, here are my current thoughts on Easter.
  1. Jesus lived the life God had planned for him.. can I do this for God? could me, myself and I give it all up? (wouldn't it be so worth it if I did?)
  2. Jesus freed me from my guilt and shame, that weight of a burdened life, when I asked him to take it away. (He paid that price when he died on the cross)
  3. Could I willingly be beaten and then die like that? doesn't sound too hard knowing the purpose but could I? Could I send my child to be beaten like that?
  4. Being the analyzer that I am, I am often questioning things in the Bible, like why? how? say that again? I recently bought a book that lays out historical facts.. and it repeatedly says. To be a follower of Christ, you must have faith. The facts are there but not all there.. so it comes down to faith.

So, can I do it on faith alone? Funny where my one seed of faith starts.. but that's another day.

"Jesus paid it all, All to him I owe, Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow. " ... from one of my favorite songs

Hope you had a good Easter!

1 comment:

Janice said...

Hi Heather read your most recent - good job and good thoughts. hey how do you get your blog to look so good. I like your pictureswith the text below or above. Mine is all messed up. Mary Lou is not gardening today. Jan