Friday, April 3, 2009

simple, healthy but low in cost...

Hi Friends and Family,

This post is a letter to you. Phil has recently been told that he has to take another 5 days off (unpaid) in the next three months. This is the second time this year and we were just recovering from the last one. It just so happens that our grocery shopping that we do every two weeks comes out of his paycheck. So he has challenged me (in a fun kind of way) to come up with some meals to put on the menu that are simple, healthy and yet low in cost. Ex. instead of twice baked potatoes with the works I'd just make a simple baked potato with a dab of butter. Instead of lasagna with lots of cheese I could do plain spaghetti.

So my question and challenge for you is to help me out. Let me know what you make that would fit into the category of simple, healthy yet low in cost.

Thanks and I'll keep you updated with menu plans, Heather

2 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Mix up your own marinades and use those on chicken, fish, etc. You can also vary up your potato dishes. One night slice thin, cover with olive oil, garlic salt and parmesan cheese and bake. Another night you could cut the potatoes like french fries and bake...so many options here. If you get ingredients for tacos and have leftovers then make fish tacos or nachos the next night. I've seen books at Barnes and Noble for this exact topic. Or do some online research. There are lots of websites out there that talk about simple meals. Good luck! Let us know if you find any winner recipes!!

Jill said...

I just stumbled across your blog while catching up on some others. Thought I'd share this site that I've found fun to read and helpful with lots of creative ways to reduce cost and make good healthy meals. Lots of recipes! Also has links to other sites with similar topics. http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/