Thursday, June 10, 2010

tri update

This has been a very exciting week for Phil and I with our triathlon training.


1. We had our first open water swim at George Wyth Lake. And, it was awesome! The water was amazingly plenty warm for it being about 70 degree's outside. The first twenty feet had a lot of seaweed (assuming that's what you call it in Iowa?) but then the water was clear. It didn't look too dirty but was dark on bottom and I didn't end up with a disgusting taste in my mouth. I actually swam the distance of my race but at a leisurely pace. I will have to look up a lot as I can't seem to swim in a straight line. I also came close to a guy fishing off the dock on my way back. I had to go around his fishing line so he probably wasn't very happy with me. Apparently, my point of reference for return wasn't a good one.. I was too far to the right. Anyways, it was so freeing to swim in open water as I didn't have to turn around several times like I do in the pool. I just have to remember to look up every so often so I'm not completely off course. And it was a lot of fun having Phil out there swimming with me. Next time he wants to go further as his race is farther out.. so we'll see maybe I'll go a longer distance too. Unfortunately we won't be here for the next open water swim which really disappoints us as they are going to have a swim coach there. There will be more open swims though so that will be fun.

2. We also attended a free triathlon clinic on Tuesday night. It was held by the people who put on the Peregrine race at George Wyth so it was extra helpful to see our race course. We also got some good tips and idea on how to set up the transition areas, mostly swimming to biking. It's amazing how simple it really is. Some things I learned was that I might want to change my bike tires to have no traction as they'll go faster, I am okay with just wearing a sports bra and tank but might want to look into special shorts that are for triathlons and there are no porta potties along the way so I have one chance to use the bathroom (right after I swim). Phil is most likely going to get a wet suit since his swim portion is so long so I think I'm going to get a new sports bra and tri shorts.

Anyways, we're getting really excited, it will be here before we know it!

No comments: