Tuesday, October 9, 2012

more good books!

Here's a story for you!  While pregnant (and honestly, I'm still there), the thought of going to the library to borrow books seemed like such a chore, especially with kids in tow.  The thought of looking, standing, and carrying a stack of books while pregnant around a library just sounded painful!  I jokingly told a friend that I wish they had wheelchairs there so I could sit and browse sitting and rolling (really, though, wouldn't that be nice!).  So although I love to read books, I'm not a huge fan of looking for books at the library.

So through facebook, I had a nudging to ask a facebook friend if she had some books I could borrow, someone I really don't know well but who's husband works with my husband.  (Side note: it turns out EVERYONE in Cedar Falls/Waterloo knows Gabbi Dewitt but seems that it's all connected in odd twists and turns. )  Within a day she had sent about 20 books my way.  What a huge blessing! So an adventure began!  I decided I was NOT going to pick through the bag, although I was very tempted.  I would pick out one book at a time, give it a chance and if I liked it good if not it went in the 'done' pile.

So over 6 months later, I have completed the pile!

Here are the books I liked:
Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry (it was having a book with the name Wendell : )
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
If I live to be 100 by Neenah Ellis
I am Nujood, Age 10 and divorced by Nujood Ali
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
As We Are Now by May Sarton
Half A Life by Darin Strauss
First, You Cry by Betty Rollin

I learned one thing, I do NOT like Jodi Picoult's book.  Her writing skills are great, her story's are too strong/controversial for me.

I also learned that having a stack a books was GREAT so a few months ago when I actually had some free time, and no preggo belly to lug around, I went to Goodwill and bought a bunch of books.  I put them in a bag and have already forgotten about them.  Now that I'm done with Gabbi's stack I will start on my own by pulling out one book at a time and see what I find!

1 comment:

Julie Ulven said...

I LOVE Wendell Barry (Berry)! Matt does too and we have a couple of his books if you want more WB. He is a Christian by the way. He moved to the country to farm and write books. Got fed up with city life and business. We need to connect soon!