Friday, September 6, 2013

compost, garden, grilling, and steak-n-cheese















1st compost




























































































































































Phil started composting quite a few years ago and this (above) was our first official compost.  I don't think we ever thought we'd enjoy it and keep up on it but then years later our old compost became quite over grown and well.. you can see, not so pretty.  So I asked my friend Rooney to help me build a new one for us.  So he was the brains and tools.  Then on one of those really hot days and some planning we made this much nicer to look at compost (see below).  Lots of digging!


new compost
It cost a lot more than I dreamed even with used wood. (I didn't know wood was so expensive.)  But in the end, Phil was very pleased.  I made it a surprise and didn't tell him what I was up too.  We had talked for a few years about how we'd make a new compost so I knew there were a few 'requirements' such as having a top, walls, two compartments, yet breathable.  Between this and now having two icecream buckets to keep our compost scraps in, composting has been a lot more manageable this summer.  On a side note, I've started drinking coffee everyday so we add a lot more coffee grounds to compost. I asked Phil if these caffeinated grounds would get in our produce next year when it goes in the garden soil.  He assures me it will NOT.  Image though, 3 kids hyped on caffeine due to the garden!!




Our garden has been crazy as usual.  Lots and LOTS of green beans that are good, healthy, and bountiful.  You know the saying 'you are what you eat'.. well then our family is a green bean.  But we loved them fresh out of the garden!         

Now is this a picture of a green bean?    


          Nope, these are the beets we grew.  







My little snapper.  
Harlie likes to snap these beans up.  
What a good helper!





Kids 'helping' mow.






My Philly. (You know, Philly steak -n - cheese).  When we first started dating I called him this and he let me.... but no one else was allowed (he didn't like it).  But being smitten, there was a special glow when I said it.  Oh the days of dating.  Phil and I talk often that we DON'T miss it at all.  There is definitely something special about growing old together.   So thankful for the 13 years we've had so far.   Of course we hope for more but we're also grateful for what have had.  Kids, a home, and love.

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Hey! I'm happy to see you are back to blogging. BUT...I can't believe you actually like beets! :(- (that is supposed to be someone sticking their tongue out.) Love all the pictures and stories.

phunt said...

Heather doesn't like beets. I am pretty much the only one in the family that does. Though Harlie said she liked them last time she tried one and Ali did eat a few.

Heather's Henhouse said...

Actually, I have decided that beets are eatable and good for me so from now on, when served, I will eat them. I might even train myself to eat more from our garden.