Saturday, September 5, 2009

last free weekend

This is our last free weekend without Wendell for awhile. I must admit though, I miss the little guy. He was gone a few days earlier this week and when he came back I had forgotten how much fun he can be. He's just a "silly monkey" and likes to make us smile. But my parents have him for the weekend so I have a few more days alone with Harlie (and Phil). I do have a few things I need to get done so I'm glad he's gone for now. So far, Phil and I went out for lunch, then did a little shopping and came back home (none of which were on my to do list). Harlie was a peach through it all except the last few minutes when she decided she was hungry.

There are a lot of things that I'd like to get done before Wendell comes back. One thing is that I have been trying to journal Harlie's "birth story" and there is so much to write that I just need to get it done before I forget. I also have a baby book that I really want to get a good start on so I don't forget those little details either. And we have some gifts/decorations that need to be hung, pictures need to be ordered/picked up/organized, and get the house cleaned up. I'm sure there are many other things that I'm not even thinking of.

Just as a general update, we are all doing pretty good. Harlie sleeps pretty good for the most part waking every 3-4 hours but then goes back to sleep after I feed her. Overall, she's a pretty happy baby and doesn't cry that much except if she's hungry. I still can't tell who I think she looks like so I'm just going to say Harlie for now. Eventually I'll find my photo album that has Phil, Wendell and my baby pictures so we can compare them. Wendell continues to do pretty good with her, although he hasn't really been around her but for a few days. Physically, I am feeling much better than I did a week ago and am on the mend. I also think I'm starting to adjust to lack of sleep but next week will be the true test when Phil goes back to work and Wendell is here; if Harlie continue to wake up at 6am. Part of me wants to get back into a routine which includes exercise, play dates, eating healthy/cooking, and more structured life in general and part of me laughs at the thought of this and says that I should just wait a month before attempting to get my life back to a new "normal".

On a side note, I'm happy to report that I am "meeting" my nursing goal of being able to breastfeed Harlie in front of other people especially men. I've had the challenge thrown at me 4 times and 3 of the 4 times I did nurse (covered) in front of a man and the 4th time I had pumped and Phil gave her a bottle (which I'm perfectly happy with as well). I have also nursed in front of a couple of female friends without the cover and this I did not even do when Wendell was a baby. I am not completely comfortable with nursing in front of people as I have not mastered the nursing covers/cape/shawls (I have 3) but so far I'm pleased with what I've accomplished. I can tell I'm becoming one of those "freedom" breastfeeding women as I want to be able to do normal things and not feel like I have to hide when I feed Harlie but at the same time, I don't want to just whip it all out and be totally exposed. I'm sure I will find a good balance that makes me and others comfortable.

This next week, we have some outings planned during the day so it'll be interesting to see how I do with a toddler and nursing infant. Harlie has her 2 week appointment, I'm hoping to get a play date in with my friend Sarah, and am hoping to also do some traveling to see parents and my mom. So, at some point next week, I'll have to give you an update of life with Phil at work and me being a lone mom of two.

Well, enough rambling for now... here are some fun pictures.











No comments: