Saturday, January 23, 2010

the big T


In the past week I've been thinking a lot about the big T and I will admit I'm starting to get nervous and excited at the same time. There is a big part of me that feels like I can't do it physically and that it will take a lot of $$ to accomplish this goal; so today I've labeled it the big T. In a previous post, I mentioned that this is the year to accomplish one of my life goals and that is to complete a TRIATHLON. **** yes, I've said it... a... TRIATHLON!!!***

I've had a lot of homework to do here's what I've got so far...

1. picking my race

  • there are a few different web sites that list different events of the year so I've been scanning them. Here are the two that I've been using http://www.trifind.com/ia.html and http://www.fitnesssports.com/
  • things to think about: time of year (I'd rather compete in August as it gives me the summer to train for the swimming portion and who wants to swim outside in the cold), time of day (most of the ones I've considered are early in the morning) and what distance I can/want to do. Since I don't think I can do a full triathlon (about 1200m swim, 25+ mile bike, and 6 mile run) then I'm hoping to do a sprint triathlon which is about a 500m swim, 16 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run.

  • so with all this in mind, right now I'm favoring one at Camp Courageous http://www.campcourageous.org/?page_id=1767 I haven't fully committed to this one as I'm still watching my options but so far this one sounds about the best to me. And I volunteered at this camp back in college so it would be kind of fun to go back. If I remember correctly it is a pretty scenic area. But today, I just heard about a possible sprint triathlon at George Wyth so I'll be looking for this one as close and comfort sounds the best.

2. training

  • swim - I have four options of where I can do some swimming. Unfortunately they all cost money so that means I needed to do some homework and Phil is planning on doing a triathlon as well so we're looking at two swim passes not just one. Option 1. YMCA 2. YWCA 3. River Plaza (discount through me work) and 4. Public pool - Byrnes and Gates park. Once I actually pick a location then the real learning begins. I looked online and found a training video for a triathlon http://www.ehow.com/topic_462_training-triathlon.html which I'm excited to watch and hopefully learn from. I'm also hoping my friend Sarah C. can give me some pointers since she's a swimmer herself. I also just heard that they are going to do some open swims at George Wyth this summer which I'm pretty excited about. I know the open waters will be a very different experience than the pool.

  • bike - I currently have an old clunker of a bike but it will probably have to make due for this year. I am hoping to purchase a bicycle/stroller trailer so that I can take the kids biking and for jogs this summer. (I think technically Harlie is suppose to be at least one year old but since she's already the size of a one year old then I think she'll be okay to ride in one come May/June; and I'm not planning to do any wild riding.)

  • running - so far I have this down pretty good. I assume that this will be a jog for me during the actual triathlon since it's the last leg but I plan to try my best and assume not to make records times.

3. attire (hopefully not wearing the several layers that I wear now to go out running in the cold)

  • swimsuit - I do own a 'pretty' swimsuit but not an athletic one. My current suit is technically a two piece with black shorts for the bottoms so I'm planning to wear those and then a sports bra and a tight tank top that's made special to dry easily
  • bike/run - I will then add on some real shorts, socks/shoes to complete my attire.
  • I already own all that I need so hopefully no cost there.

4. schedules

  • this will be a hard one because Phil and I will basically be dual training for most of the spring/summer. Most likely we will end up at the YWCA or River Plaza. There are pro's and con's to both. YWCA has some free childcare but it's very limited as are their open swim times. River plaza has open swimming almost all the time but no childcare. I think we'll be checking prices and looking at the pool before we decide. Price will probably be the main factor. Hopefully we can swim in the morning, during lunch and at night if necessary so we won't need a babysitter.

Actual training will hopefully start in February. I plan to do some strength training (lifting weights, lunges, squats and jumping rope) and hopefully start swimming soon. When the weather is nicer I'll get my bike up and running and hopefully have a trailer by then.

I know this all sounds crazy. I feel crazy for being a 32 year old doing all this but physical exercise is necessary to stay healthy and having a goal makes it much more fun. My dream goal would to be to also loose about 30 more pounds and with all this exercise it just might be possible. So, I'll keep you posted on my progress. For now, it's just doing my homework and getting geared up. Next month, the hard work begins!!

The pictures I've attached are of a few fun ones that Phil took (per my request) after my run today. I thought you might like a view of what I look like out there in this crazy weather. And if you know the true Heather then you know I have a goofy side so that is what I leave you with, a smiling, happy go lucky, goof ball, ME, posing for the camera.

3 comments:

phunt said...

It will be interesting to see how we make it all work. The only thing I am considering right now is what to swim in...a wet suit or my regular suit...

Sarah Craft said...

Here is something to consider...will the wet sports bra chaff? (And did I spell that right?) When I run half marathons my sports bra inevitably gets wet from sweating and it would rub in all the wrong places making for a very uncomfortable experience. This sounds weird but when it warms up you may want to try jogging in a wets sports bra and see how it feels. Otherwise I'm sure there are some tri websites that may be able to provide some advice in this area. Good luck! I think it is AWESOME you are doing this!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Wow, Heather. I'm so impressed with your dedication to this goal. I can't wait to see you accomplish it!