Sunday, April 25, 2010

menu planning and recipes

After my last post, I decided I needed to lighten the mood and do something exciting so today I decided to post on a topic that I love, love, love and that is food. I might try a new feature and that is to post my menu and a new recipe for those of you who are adventurous. Some of you may not know that I am an avid menu planner.


On a side note, Phil and I go grocery shopping every two weeks on Friday night after he gets off work; and it just so happens to be the day he gets paid. So on Friday we were off to Aldi then Walmart. This has been our routine and it works pretty well for us. I guess you could call it a family event as we all go and we all seem to have a fairly fun time. Wendell gets to wander at Aldi's a little since its a smaller store, he also likes to check out the bathroom now that he's potty training and once in awhile we let him pick something out (like the lime he bought a few months ago, that he carried with him the next couple of days). Harlie now enjoys sitting in the cart and looking around at everything. At Walmart our list is usually short but still requires we walk all over the store and often Wendell stops to look at the 'fishy's', and sometimes we chase each other through the isles. On a side note, it took us 2 hours to shop at both places the other night (a very long night) and I wondered how many calories I burned just grocery shopping?


Anyways moving on to the fun part. My meal planning includes mostly supper during the week and lunch on weekends. Lunch during the week is usually leftovers, mac-n-cheese, or pb&J; and for anyone interested breakfast is usually eggs w/toast, oatmeal, cereal, hot cakes, or bagels w/peanut butter). And one more tidbit of information, I have a personal goal to eat fish and one meatless meal once a week. (Let me know if you have any meatless meals as I'm running out of ideas. )


So here is the menu for the next two weeks.

Part I - the menu



Saturday: brunch for lunch and pot pie (Heather's treat with the family being out of town)

Sunday: leftovers for lunch and chicken curry salad (see recipe)

Monday: fish, homemade rice-a-roni and a veggie

Tuesday: taco's

Wednesday: hotdogs (Yes we eat hot dogs, mainly to use our homemade relish that is delicious. Aldi has a new fit and active kind that are made with turkey, somewhat healthy for a dog and very tasty, in case you ever shop there.) On the side we'll probably have a veggie, fruit, and some type of dairy (***Phil and I usually eat two hotdogs)

Thursday: BLT's w/ veggies, fruit and some type of dairy (***if we're really hungry then Phil and I usually have two sandwiches)

Friday: veggie pizza

Saturday: brunch for lunch and then for supper.... grilled steak, baked beans, sweet tators, yum, yum.....

Sunday: oops, didn't fill that part out.. guess we're going out to eat for lunch : ) and grilled chicken (on the bone) for supper w/ a veggie and bread, again yum, yum...

Monday: BLT's w/ veggies, fruit and some type of dairy (this is leftover from the previous week)

Tuesday: chicken w/ rice (this might be leftover from the grilled chicken or some crockpot chicken I made this weekend; and I saved the juice from the crockpot chicken which should add a nice flavor to the rice).

Wednesday: veggie lasagna (I'm going to try the recipe on the back of the whole wheat lasagna box - it has zucchini and egg plant, I'll let you know how it turns out)

Thursday: hot dogs (see above, this is also leftover from the previous package of hotdogs)

Friday: chicken pizza - I will try to replicate a pizza similar to Pizza Hut's chicken and (purple) onion pizza.. would love to make it stuffed crust but haven't tried that yet.... not sure I want the extra calories even though it would be very tasty.

This menu is unusual that we are having a lot of sandwich type meals. Sometimes I like to have chips with these meal but I know there is no real nutritional value to it so I'm cutting them out. Hopefully we have enough side options that we feel the meal is complete.


So there you have it, two weeks of food planned.




Part II - the recipe



Curried Chicken Salad (this is a chicken salad for sandwiches and would be good on a salad)



4 small chicken breasts or or 1 1/2 pounds chicken (cooked and cut up)

1/2 cup of mayo

1 tsp. curry powder

1/2 lemon juiced (I use bottled lemon juice)

1/4 cup chopped almonds (you can use different kinds of nuts)

1/4 cup raisins

basil leaves (I use the spice and just sprinkle some on, probably about 1 tsp.)

salt and pepper to taste


mix it all up and it's ready (I usually eat it cold but I'm sure it's good warm too)

3 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

Fun idea to share your menu... I didn't know that Aldi had turkey dogs now!! I always get those at Walmart, but will have to look for them! :) Do you guys like black beans? If so, those always make great meals. One idea- put them on some corn tortillas with spinach, corn, a bit of cheese, and some salsa then warm them up. Mmmmm.

Sarah Craft said...

You have a lot on your plate right now...and I'm not just talking about meals. I became very frustrated when we sold our house, too. I wish I had words of wisdom but all I can say is that it will happen. And when it does, it will be on God's time table. Remember the words that used to/still sit on your kitchen windowsill? God has a plan for me, and it is better than mine. True stuff.

Mike and Megan Steffen said...

Love that you posted your menu for the last couple of weeks! Very organized... we're trying to work in a few lower-cal meals a couple of times a week, too. Not sure why that's so hard, but it is. Best of luck with your house challenges. It is an exciting and frustrating event!