Wednesday, April 28, 2010

more recipes...

I thought ya' all might like some more recipes. Phil thinks my pictures of food on a plate (picture #2) are kind of silly but I know that the majority of us are more likely to try a recipe if there is a picture to go with it. So, hope you enjoy my silliness.

The first recipe is for rhubarb sauce which is great on pancakes like syrup or as a jelly. Today I used brown sugar instead of white sugar and it tastes pretty good. I'm not really sure how long it stores but I know I've kept it a few months and it seems to keep fine. I just watch for mold and haven't seen any yet. Let me know if you have any other ideas to use rhubarb as it's the season and I'm sure I'll have a lot more coming.

Rhubarb Sauce

5-6 cups fresh and/or frozen rhubarb cut up in 1 inch pieces
1 c. water
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1. In a saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil.
2. Add sugar and cinnamon, return to boil.
3. Summer uncovered for 10-15 minutes
4. Store in refrigerator or freeze.







My second recipe is homemade taco seasoning. I have found that as I try to stay away from processed food that when I do eat it, I find it quite salty or "preserved" tasting. Taco seasoning is an example of this, I like it but I don't want it to be so salty. So here's some homemade taco seasoning. I also have a fajita seasoning recipe but we'll save that for another day.

Taco Seasoning (1/2 batch)

6 tsp. chili powder (3 tsp)
5 tsp. paprika (2 1/2 tsp)
4 1/2 tsp. cumin (2 1/4 tsp)
2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (1 1/4 tsp)
3 tsp. onion powder (1 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (1/8 tsp or pinch)

Mix all together. I store extra in a little plastic container.



One more comment... I just want to share that these cute plastic blue plates were 4 for a dollar at Dollar General. They are not microwavable but they work great for meals like this. And since I do all, yes, all my dishes by hand, then they are lot easier to wash and put away (regular plates get heavy once you start to stack them 3-4 high). One last plug for Dollar General; they carry good greeting cards for $.50-1.00, dried fruit (a variety of kinds too!), different kinds of nuts, and much much more and all for a very reasonable price!

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

I am definitely going to make that taco seasoning. And I'll be patiently waiting for the fajita seasoning, too. For the record, I like the pics you posted. Providing pictures really help sell the food....in my opinion.

I think I will be making tacos sometime next week! Thanks for the recipe.

Julie Ulven said...

I make my own taco seasoning, too. Yours is similar to mine. Matt just brought home a big bag of rhubarb so I am getting ready to "sauce it"!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Pictures definitely sell recipes. I'm such a visual person anyway. That's why I love the fact that my "Simple & Delicious" magazine has a picture for every single recipe.

Anyway, I make rhubarb sauce, too, but have never actually seen/used a recipe. I usually don't add cinnamon but my family usually puts in part of a strawberry jello package--mostly for the red coloring. My parents eat it straight like applesauce. I have to have it with something. My favorite is on top of rhubarb cake. I'm getting ready to make some right now. :o)

BTW, I love the recipes. I'm working on a recipe page myself. I also love cheap plastic plates. I bought some 3-section pink ones from Wal-mart for Emily to use 2 years ago for $.25 each. I'm down to one out of four, but I certainly got my money's worth!