Tuesday, May 4, 2010

more recipes, updates, and life in general

First is a recipe for you,

Homemade Rice-a-roni

1/2 cup raw spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces
3/4 cup rice
14 ounces (or 3 - 4 cups) of chicken broth (or water)
2 TBSP butter or margarine
parsley (about 1 tsp)
seasoning salt

Heather's way (I use brown rice and whole wheat spaghetti AND I don't want to use two pans so I have to reverse it all a bit)

1. Cook rice in 2 cups of chicken broth (brown rice takes about 45 minutes, instant white rice is much faster)
2. Then add the spaghetti with butter and an extra cup or so of broth; cook until the noodles are cooked, about 10 minutes
3. Add your seasonings and let simmer for a few minutes.

OR

original recipe directions

1. Brown spaghetti in the butter, stirring constantly, and until the spaghetti begins to brown
2. Add instant rice, stirring until the rice is well coated with butter
3. Pour in broth and spices
4. Simmer until liquid is absorbed

* see picture below : )
** I just made this tonight and found that I like it best with only the parsley as a seasoning. All my seasoning salts made it taste too salty.




NEWS FLASH!! Harlie is eating food now. She loves animal crackers, and has eaten sweet potato, mac-n-cheese, and a few peas and carrots!




And a little bit of life... we a really fun Saturday as a family just hanging out. This is one of Wendell's new things. He loves to climb on top of my car and just look around.



Here's Harlie just hanging out. She loves to stick out her tongue.


This is a picture of our supper tonight. Yep, I forgot to take a before picture so for humor I thought I'd take an after picture, indicating it was tasty since it's all gone. (I like to amuse myself : ).


We had
  • rice-a-roni (see above recipe)
  • talapia from our good friend Becky who gave us a bunch after my last food post because I was raving about our yummy talapia that I had cooked with cooking spray in a fry pan; she thought hers was a bit fishy tasty (and it was a little fishier than last time) so she gave it us, but it's free fish so we'll eat it!
  • california blend veggie mix
  • I also made (my first "homemade" sweet treat in a couple months) some brownie's from a brownie mix that my friend Kathryn gave me (due to some allergy issues). So people have been giving me free food left and right!

And this last picture if Harlie and me sleeping. She had woken up at 6am one morning and I was still tired so I fed her and then we laid back down; apparently she agreed since we both fell back asleep.


Well, believe it or not, it's been almost 2 weeks since I did my last menu. Friday is grocery night so I'll be making a new menu up in the next few days. I've had a hankerin' for a good old grilled hamburger so that may have to be on the menu. And I tried a new homemade mac-n-cheese recipe (made with cottage cheese) so that may have to be put on the menu as well.
I'll keep you posted! (** sorry if there are typo's but I gotta go to work)

3 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

It was still fishy, huh?! Maybe we'd like other tilapia... but that stuff was a bit much. Glad you're making use of it.

Sarah Craft said...

Share your mac and cheese recipe!!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I'm definitely going to have to try the rice-a-roni recipe. Do you use regular brown rice a lot? I was perusing the aisles of Wal-mart last night without kids (dangerous activity!) and was contemplating the cheaper bagged brown rice vs. the boxed instant brown rice. I wonder how much of a factor having the stove on for an additional 30-40 min. plays into the cost. Plus you have to be organized and on top of things enough to start the rice that far ahead of time. I usually don't remember until 15 min. before Austin will be home.

Anyway, YAY for Harlie finally eating real food!

Also, I've tried some tilapia recipes and nothing has turned out real great. Sam's Club has some Parmesan-crusted tilapia that you just throw on a cookie sheet and bake. It's absolutely delicious and it's almost the same price as just the plain tilapia in the grocery store. It's probably not as healthy as just plain fried in a pan, but it's still not bad at all. I'm too lazy to try any other coated tilapia recipes from now on!