Thursday, May 13, 2010

Preschool?

To send or not to send, that is my dilemma.



I haven't really looked yet so it may be to late but I have been having this ongoing debate in my head as to whether we should send Wendell to preschool. Phil is okay with whatever I decide. Wendell see's the little kids across the street and says he wants to go to school. I feel like I'm not ready to send him but I know he would really like it for awhile anyways.

Pro's - he gets to spend time with other kids, other adults/authority, have a variety in daily routine, give me a break/time alone with Harlie

Con's - starting the life of having an agenda at the age of 3, us having to drive him there at least twice a week/twice a day, $$$, we're hoping moving so who knows how long he'd attend

He already has church on Sunday, MMO, and the occasional story hour at the library that we attend. He knows the alphabet and numbers well and we're working on colors and shapes so I feel like we're covered in what he would "learn" at preschool.

Honestly, I think he would love it but I'm not excited about it. Part of it is that I feel like we're just starting to get in a good routine and able to get out and have fun now that Harlie isn't so young; and I've really enjoyed spending time with him. I would really miss the little bugger. But am I being selfish, since I know he would love it?

So, I have a question for you! Are you sending/did you send/will you send your kids to preschool at age 3? Why? Why not?

Are there any happy medium ideas out there? Like swim classes? T-ball? Art class? Music class?

I'm pretty sure I'll send him by age 4 because I think life will be a little more tame for us, I will be a little more prepared to let go, and honestly, it's free, and he would probably go to the elementary school that he would go to school at when he goes to kindergarten.

So what are you thoughts? And guidance for me (us)?

5 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

I am sending Kate to preschool this fall. She wants preschool. She needs preschool. I need preschool. She knows her alphabet, counting, colors and shapes. I think the educational part for her will be the ability to socialize. She really needs to learn some independence. It is an added expense but I am hopeful that 3 year old preschool will be a positive experience for her.

I was really surprised to learn how much private preschool costs in Waterloo so I don't fault you one bit for not sending him this year.

Great picture of Wendell, by the way!

Julie Ulven said...

Mieke is going to preschool this fall because she needs to know that she is NOT the center of the universe. She needs to learn to follow directions, share, be quiet while others are taking and learn that she is NOT the center of the universe. Our preschool in Hudson is in the grade school and costs about $65-70 a month. I think Will Huenink is going to be in her class.

Becky Bartlett said...

Great question, Heather! I'm curious to read all the responses, too. I'm sure I'll have the same debate next year! I have friends up the street that have talked about preschool- saying that they didn't send their kids to really learn stuff (they could teach them shapes & colors at home), but that they sent them to help them learn things like listening to another authority, sharing, following directions, keeping a schedule, being responsible, etc.

The Josh Hill Family..... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life of the Lorenzens said...

I'm with Sarah & Julie. Emily is going to preschool in the fall and I'm pumped. I need the break since she really hasn't napped since age 2. Emily also already knows everything they would teach academically at preschool. I'm totally sending her for the social aspect--participating in structured large group activities, listening to authority figures other than mom & dad, sharing, the center of the universe thing. ;o)

Preschool costs can really vary. Emily is going 2 afternoons/week at Redeemer Lutheran Church for $50/month. I've discovered that's pretty cheap. Addy Schut is going to be in her class. I don't know what the registration looks like at Waterloo preschools, but I signed up at Little Lambs last September already and had to settle for the afternoon class b/c the morning class was already full.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine, so don't sweat it too much!