Thursday, January 27, 2011

picked and popped

Well, I had to come up with something clever for the title : )

Picked - I think I have picked one of my races for this year and I'm really excited! I believe there is a sprint triathlon in July called the Cornman that is in Gladbrook, Iowa (I was going to do this last year but had a family vacation that came up). The Cornman has all the components I want - good time of year, good location, good distance. So, for now I'm excited to report that I'm planning to do another triathlon. With that decision then I have no guilt in buying a new women's bike seat that will fit my sit bones (hopefully it works). And I also plan to buy a few items for the pool (flippers and a buoy - both relatively inexpensive at swimoutlet.com). So with a road bike and hopefully a correct swim technique then I can shave some time off compared to my last race. Now I just need to find a brave soul to do it with me. (Sarah - I think we need to chat more.. maybe, just maybe, I can convince you, I have an idea : )

And #2.

Popped - For the first time in my life I went to a chiropractor today. I needed something because for the last month or so I've been waking up around 4am with a major back ache. A LOT worse then when I was pregnant. So bad that I lay there in pain and can't go back to sleep.. and can barely roll over. So, I thought I could call my doctor but I know she would make me get an x-ray, PT, and of course a follow up appointment. So I thought I'd check into a chiro where maybe one or two pops and I can be back to normal. Well, luckily, insurance covers most of it (even thought they only charge $20 regardless if you have insurance). So I went tonight and had no idea what I was getting into. It started with me getting a 10 minute aquatic massage, then she (the chiro) popped my back and did some pounding. She informed me that one leg was about 1 inch shorter than the other and was most likely causing the problem, pop pop, fixed that problem - they are now aligned (hopefully they stay that way). And afterwards, I could really tell one leg was longer - it felt too long : ) She twisted my neck (my biggest fear - but it wasn't too bad - just loud pops). Then she gave me electro shocks on my back in my problem area - it felt like a vibrating massage pillow. I iced my back when I got home and I'll be going to sleep soon. Hopefully I sleep like a baby.. and am not too stiff to get out bed in the morning. She said it might hurt a little but really shouldn't hurt too much. I go back next week to check in and see what my body does - hopefully it stays aligned so I don't have to keep going back.

Anyways, if I feel better tomorrow then I highly recommend it! I am planning to send Phil as his shoulder has been hurting him but at this point PT isn't helping too much. If all else, the massage was good and it feels good to know my body is aligned.

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

My back still hurts : ( but I can't expect to grow an inch and then not feel some pain the next day. I'm going to the gym this morning and plan to sit in the hot tub for awhile and then go swimming. I hope it all works out!