Saturday, January 22, 2011

race dilema

So Phil and I are already pondering what races we will do this year. I know looking back on my triathlon last year, I was so glad to complete it although the training got to be tiring and drawn out. Since then, I've kept up on my running, biking, and swimming so the question is do I do another one this year? If so, how long of one (sprint vs. olympic)? And, how far do I want to travel (translation: how early do I want to get up to drive to a race)? Do I want to swim in cold water again? Nope. When June rolls around, will the water be warm? Would I rather just take a stab at a 10k and practice running further, but keep swimming and biking simply because I enjoy it. On a side note, part of my winter exercise has been to bike using our indoor bike trainer. Since Phil now uses his fancy new bike then I have been trying his road bike which would be much faster than my hybrid bike for a race. The only hang up is that the seat is made for a man and their tiny narrow sit bones and my sit bones are in need of a woman's seat. So do I spent the $60 to buy a decent seat, hoping it works even if I don't do a race this year? (And I don't believe I can just switch my hybrid bike seat to the road bike because they are designed to be sat on differently - the road bike has me lean over and my hybrid has me sit up so the pressure is different).

Anyways, who knows what the year will bring. It seems too early to decide but really I'm just trying to decide if I should buy a new bike seat so I can keep riding Phil's road bike. I guess for now I can just ride my hybrid on the bike trainer and decide later if I want to ride Phil's bike.

In the next few weeks I'll be gearing up for a 5k in February. My friend Sarah is doing her own race for fun called the Cocoa Go Go. It should be interesting all of us running in the middle of February in full out Iowa winter. We might be skating along instead of running.

1 comment:

Julie Ulven said...

Hmm. Could you buy a seat pad that fits over his seat?