Saturday, September 3, 2011

kitchen gadgets and wifey oops

I pulled a wifey oops when I bought Phil this rice cooker/steamer two years ago for Christmas.  He had said he wanted one but then after getting it I realized I do all the cooking so not really a fair gift for him.  But two years later we still use it and love it.  This purchase about $40 but really worth it (in my opinion).  Even though it's another gadget in the kitchen, it's really great.  This one steams brown rice (or white rice), it also steams veggies and as you can see I recently steamed myself some fresh garden grown green beans.  And steamed fresh green beans are the BEST!!  Recently I played around and actually steamed some dry beans it worked like magic!  You can also put meat in there as well.  So the other day I put in rice, chicken broth and then frozen chicken breast in and cooked it.  Then I ended up steaming the veggies on top.  It was easy and healthy!  I will admit it takes about an hour to cook the brown rice but for most part nothing takes more than two hours.  Anyways, I just wanted to share my yummy green beans with you, as they were delightful to eat!





So in attempt to get some comments.. do you have any kitchen gadgets you love?  My number two would be our mandolin slicer that we got.  it's safety hazard as the blade is very sharp but love it for slicing veggies.  Or if you wish you could also share your wifey oops.

3 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I might enjoy having a rice cooker, but at the moment I wouldn't know where to store it in my kitchen.

It's hard to pick my favorite kitchen gadget. Because I do so much baking I might have to pick my Pampered Chef sliding measuring spoon. I use the teaspoon one all the time. My tablespoon one disappeared a couple months ago, and I suspect it had a fateful encounter with the garbage disposal when I was not around. I'm asking for another one for Christmas. :o)

I also like my bread machine (i.e. dough machine), Tupperware 2-cup shaker and strawberry corer.

I just got some new stuff in the mail from Walter Drake. :o)

Becky Bartlett said...

I think I would love a mandolin! A couple of my favorite gadgets- a pampered chef pot drainer (so nice!), and my dishwasher. And, I can't forget my kitchenaid mixer... which I will admit on here sat in my closet for about 5 years after we got married! I didn't have the counter space for it in our first house, so never opened it. Now I feel horrible that I never had it out... I love it!!! (don't tell my gma that it took me 5 years to use!!)

Julie Ulven said...

The Soda Stream that makes Matt's Diet Dew knock-off is hands down the best kitchen gadget we have at the moment. I don't have to lug soda home or deal with the empty cans. My personal favorite is my microwave rice steamer/cooker. Use it everyday for rice or veggies. I am totally in rice cooker envy over your more deluxe version, Heather!