Saturday, April 7, 2012

the cookie lady

So I dropped off my paperwork at the hospital a few days ago in preparation for baby #3 and walking down the hallway I saw someone that brought back a memory (or should I say nightmare) and not a good one but also a funny one (looking back).  I don't know her name but she will always be known as 'the cookie lady'.  And here is my story.

When we were still in the hospital when Wendell was born there was a situation that caused me, his mom, to have a horrible breakdown of crying while walking down the hallway to return to my hospital room.  I am sure the hormones were about 75% of the problem and it was one those moments of relieving stress and I just wanted to CRY, and cry and cry.  I am the kind of person that cries hard and it's best to just get it ALL out and be done with it (and usually I laugh when I'm done because I realize how ridiculous it was).  But I'm also very sniffly, wailing, hyperventilating kind of crier.  Anyways, so I'm having one of these moments and just wanted some privacy.  Luckily Phil was with me walking to the room when I realized I had a bunch of family in the room visiting.  At least I know my grandparents were in there, waiting for us.  Anyways, I did NOT want to go in there as I was still in my spell of crying when 'the cookie lady' who was innocently delivering cookies tries to comfort me AND to convince me that there was no reason I couldn't go back to my room with my family, as they would understand.  Um.. lady.. no, I don't want to walk in a room and be totally hormonal in front of family.  As I was trying to walk around the hallway and go to a private bathroom instead of my room this lady really started to push me into my room (trying to be a comfort) and I was adamant that I did NOT want to back in there until my fit was done. I just wanted to cry in private, with Phil at my side.

Anyways, I believe I got control of myself real quick because this lady was putting me in an uncomfortable situation as she was not letting it go and I was not able to really fight her at the moment.  So I zipped up the tears and went in the room. 

5 years later, Phil (who knows me and my fits) and I still laugh at this crazy persistent cookie lady who wouldn't let me cry in peace/private.  

So earlier this week while dropping off my paperwork.. squeaking down the hallway with her cookie cart and a great big smile on her face, was the cookie lady still delivering cookies to us new hormonal moms.  Let's just say I about ran out of the hospital...  


aww... this baby will be born soon, what memories will this experience bring? : )

2 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

That cracks me up, Heather. Probably horrifying at the time, but the cookie lady is one of Luke's favorite things about having a kid!! (that and the Mountain Dew!) :)

Sarah Craft said...

Wow! She sounds pushy! I have had two babies at Covenant and was never once offered a cookie. Now that makes me want to cry.

I hope you can avoid crying fits this time around and instead enjoy a delicious cookie.