Monday, March 16, 2009

Is it worth it?

Phil and I decided to try to save some money so we started shopping at the store Aldi. We quickly found that we could get most but not ALL groceries at Aldi so if we continued to shop there then we'd have to go to two stores. So the question is: is it worth it to go to two grocery stores instead of just one? Well, to answer this we needed to determine: How much money do we save? And we also needed to determine, does Aldi meet quality expectations? Our final question is, does Aldi meet our "health" expecations. Thus, the experiment begins... Phil and I agreed to try Aldi's at least three times before making a final decision and on this (third) trip we did some price comparing.

And, the results are in. Phil and I tag teamed the price comparing of Aldi vs Walmart last Friday night. Aldi definitely passed with the cheaper prices. Only a few things were cheaper at Walmart and that's because they were on sale. I will * the things that cost more at Walmart. All listed below is generic brand/the cheapest option available except for beef and bread.

Aldi (Walmart) difference?
Salmon 1 lb 3.99 (4.48) .49
milk 1 gallon 2.09 (2.13) .04
*eggs 1.09 (1.00 - on sale at Walmart) +.09
*beef 1 lb 93% 3.49 (2.90 - if you buy in 3lb amounts) + .59
shr. cheese 1lb 3.29 (3.94) .65
sliced cheese 8oz. 1.69 (2.14) .45
* 3lb b.s. chix bst. 6.49 (6.00 -on sale at Walmart) + .49
flour 5lb 1.55 (1.88) .33
sugar 5lb 2.39 (2.68) .29
can of tuna .62 (.67) .05
100% wh. wh.bread 1.67 (1.88) .11
* peanut butter 1.39 (1.36) +.03
raisin bran 1.79 (20 oz) (3.34 (32 oz)) .29
* cottage cheese 2.29 (1.97) +.32
carrots 32 oz bag .99 (1.58) .59
frozen broccoli .99 (.98) +.01

SAVED= .97 (as items are listed)

* this amount doesn't calculate for items that we buy in multiplies like bread, milk, cheese, tuna, and frozen veggies; and there are a few other items not listed like t.p. and o.j. that we save money on

We roughly estimated that we probably saved $5-10 by shopping at Aldi. But we also limit our overall time spent at the big Walmart (one of my biggest pet peeves), there are less options at Aldi so it's easier to make choices, Aldi is much smaller so we don't feel like we've walked a mile when we're done, the lights at Aldi aren't as bright as at Walmart, and Phil and I have cut down on our search time for each other when one of us strays from the other. So shopping at Aldi also saves on time, energy, and unnecessary headaches.

As far as quality goes; some of the fresh produce hasn't been good as we had expected but some other things have been a higher quality so we think it balanced out. It seems to be hit and miss on the produce.

Our final question is about health. Phil and I often try to choose healthy foods and can be picky about what we buy. Aldi did not carry all the healthy foods that I want like baked chips and low fat/low sodium soups but they do carry some healthy items like whole wheat noodles (I just saw them this last time I was there), skim milk, whole wheat bread, and tuna in water. They also have a 'brand' called Fit and Active which is their way of telling us it's their "healthy" food. So when carousing the isles and I see something with the "fit and active" label then I know it's a healthier choice.

I think for now "it's worth it" so we're planning to keep going to Aldi, and then Walmart for a few other things, as our groceries seem to have cost a lot less and it has been a fun alternative.

One last note, I also plan to double check the prices of beef and cottage cheese to see what the "norm" is for prices and then chose the better option accordingly.

** Note: if you have never been to Aldi and plan to check it out then I leave you with two tips: 1. take a quarter with for the grocery cart and 2. take your own grocery bags



*********** On a side note, I went to Goodwill the other day to look for maternity clothes. They have one little rack clear in the back as their maternity section and I found a pair of shorts and capri's for $3.95 each. You can't beat that price for something I'll only wear a few months.

Hope you enjoyed this experiment and let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

This was a very interesting comparison. I've only been to Aldi's twice and had bad experiences both times, so I haven't been there in quite awhile. Plus it's not the most convenient location for me. In looking at your grocery list I can see a few things that are cheaper (and maybe even better quality) at Fareway--especially if you shop the weekly specials. However, I agree that there is also a cost involved for having to go to two stores. I've kind of settled on the things that I know are cheaper at Wal-mart vs. Fareway vs. Kwik Star and do my shopping/stocking up accordingly. I've been doing better lately about only having to go to either Wal-mart or Fareway in a week, but a lot of times I end up going to both (usually in Waverly). I always get milk, bread, bananas and sometimes eggs at Kwik Star when I need them.

I've found that in general, overall grocery prices have dropped along with gas and everything else. This is especially true of dairy and meat. (Not good for farmers like my dad, but good for the grocery budget.) As you know from my 2009 goals, grocery budgeting is top of mind for me these days, too. I'm glad to have someone else to compare with. Good luck!

Jenelle said...

Hey Heather. Love the grocery comparison. . . growing up, we ALWAYS went to Aldi's for the majority of our food and Econofoods (In Iowa City) for the items Aldi didn't have. I have a special place in my heart for Aldi's and wish there was one around here! :) Happy shopping!