Saturday, August 7, 2010

training update

Thought I'd take a minute to give an update on the triathlon training. I'm sorry if this seems a bit long winded.

  1. I'm excited that we have open water swims every Monday for the month of August. That means once a week, I will be out in the open water, swimming to my hearts content. I think I've said it before but I love swimming out there. You get out and look back and think, wow, I swam that far?? And I love being outdoors so it's so nice to be out with the blue sky and watching the sun set while swimming away. And it's a bit harder (the water seems thicker) in the lake so that makes for a bit of a harder workout. This last time I went I was pleased with my ability to site as the time before that did not go so well. I have figured out that I prefer to swim alone or at least not with 20 other swimmers next to me. I would much rather go at my own pace than to compete and I can see better when I don't have a lot of bobbing heads in front of me. This next time I'd like to challenge my self to go a further distance, perhaps 3/4 to 1 mile instead of the usual 1/2 mile. Anyways, if you have any interest in all, the swim is free and every Monday night at 6pm at George Wyth's boat ramp.

  2. I have been working on my biking portion as the distance is a lot further than I thought it would be and I'd like to average a 15-16 mile per hour speed. This past two weeks, I have actually done a couple workouts alone (not with kids in the trailer) and have gotten a path that doesn't require that I stop several times (a pet peeve of mine). My path, in case you are curious, is to leave my house going West on Bismark and I go slow for a warm up from my house to Ansborough Ave., then the real work begins. Going North on Ansborough, I turn left or West on the trail that follows 218 to Greenhill, and keep going taking a left on the Hartman Reserve trail. I take that trail going West until I come to Pfeifer (sp?) park and turn North crossing the big bridge that crosses over to George Wyth. I go down that bridge and then turn left going into Cedar Falls towards Main Street. I go under Main street and curve back around turning left or North on Main, taking the trail that loops around eventually to Big Woods Lake. I go around the lake and then come back home. Total distance: almost 16 miles. Today I was able to do the loop in just under a hour... not counting my warm up to Ansborough Avenue. If I can keep this pace on race day, I will be keeping my goal.

  3. Today, I had the chance to do a back to back work out. I did a bike ride (above loop) and then came home and ran three miles (did I mention it poured rain on me for about 3 miles on my bike ride but I toughed it out). The first mile I didn't think I would make it just from being tired but I made myself keep going since I knew I'd be disappointed if I quit. I actually made pretty decent time on mile one which brought my spirits up. In the end, I was able to do the three miles right at 33 minutes, my normal pace without the hour long bike ride warm up.

  4. Phil and I are already talking about next year. I'm so glad I've stuck this out since I've really enjoyed it. It takes a lot of time during the week but Phil and I love talking about it and we love doing it. Working our bodies like this actually feels good! And we both like the challenge.

  5. One last note, I'm disappointed to say that I am not losing anymore weight. My goal was another ten pounds before the race but I don't think I'm going to do it. I have been watching my eating and have done well for the most part. Reality is, I think I'm gaining muscle and I think my body is storing the fat since I'm working out so much and not eating high calories. I might have also hit a plateau, which has happened before about this time of year. I haven't really gained weight so that's a good thing. One other depressing thing for me, is my belly fat. Since being such a pudge for so long and having two kids my belly is not very attractive.. at all. But I recently read that I'm young enough that my skin should tighten just fine, chances are I still have a lot of old fat hanging around my belly, so until I loose more weight, my jelly belly will remain. One last note, I'm amazed that I look down at my legs and think they look just as pudgy as before but when I look in the mirror then I see these sleek muscular legs. I see now how people become anorexic or bulimic, saying they think they look fat. What I see when I look down is not the truth... luckily the mirror shows my nice legs that I can be proud of but it makes me feel for those who can't see their true body. In opposite, I think it's funny that I have gotten so used to my chest that it doesn't seem that big to me, but when I measure and ordered a new bra, the size is still quite big. So I see a normal chest on myself, when in reality, I'm very well endowed (sorry if this is too much info. for some of you).

  6. Oh, one more thing. My neck/back injury is gone. I feel back to normal. I have in the meantime ordered a new sports bra but when I got it, I did not like how it fit (the straps seem to cut in). I am now in the process of sending it back and getting a different kind. Hopefully this next one will work better. I so wish I could just go to a store and try one on but the closest thing I have is go to is Scheels in Des Moines.. and last time I was there, I didn't really care for what they had to offer. I would also like to have someone that I could talk about this issue with but unfortunately, everyone I know is normal in the bra department.

  7. Wuufffee.. that's enough for now. If you actually made it through this long entry, I thank you for listening. This has been quite the adventure. I'm hoping in the future to drag someone along with me.. even if for part of the ride.

2 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

I hear you in the bra department!! Grrrrrr.... what kind do you order? I got an enell that I like! Too much info from me as well!! :) Glad your training is going so well... you're an animal!! Keep it up!

Heather's Henhouse said...

I used to own an enell bra and thought it was very hot on my back due to all the material back there. Of course, that was probably ten years ago so maybe they make them better. Does anyone know about them now? and where I can find them up here?