Sunday, April 24, 2011

Every morning is Easter morning from now on...

Did you ever sing that song in church growing up? At my parents church they sing that at their Easter sunrise service and it's always fun to remember my sister and I singing it together, usually in laughing sarcastic kind of way. Thinking back my family often laughed through times spent with God. Our dinner prayers we always tried NOT to laugh because we'd have to start our prayer over but once of us (5 kids) would snicker then we'd all laugh and then we'd have to start over. I also know that during church we would laugh sometimes to pass the boredom (but I don't think we fell asleep). It kind of makes me think of how our family approached church growing up and like most families, a lot of things went unsaid. I just don't think parents knew how to talk about their faith.. or even thought about doing it.

So, just out out of curiosity, growing up, did your family talk about their own personal faith? And if so, how?

This year our family did an Easter tree where I made a little ornament to hang (like the Jesse tree for anyone from our church) and then a Bible verse to go with it. The tough part was trying to explain some of the ornaments - like the nail, communion cup/bread, thorns or dice represented. I think as children we were fed cartoons and imaginary images which makes it very hard to make it 'believable' as the 'truth'. Don't get me wrong, I think Wendell is too young to watch The Passion but it's also tough showing Wendell a cartoon picture of Jesus floating in the sky up to heaven... kind of like Word Girl or several other cartoons.

I have run into a few problems lately in regards to raising strong faithed christian children. I think Wendell believes that Jesus is always with us (yeah!) but how to respond to him asking Jesus to buy him that toy or when he says Jesus will watch him ride his bike (as he wants to go on a bike ride without supervision)? I, myself, struggle with unanswered prayer (don't we all?) and it's hard to have Wendell learn these lessons at 4 years old. I want him to have strong faith but when prayers go unanswered, it's easy to have doubts, which is not what a 4 year old needs to be learning. Anyways, I know, we need to have some discussions with Wendell explaining that Jesus is always with us but that doesn't mean he will always gives us what we want. As far as Jesus watching Wendell ride his bike and help with safety issues.. well I can't deny him that, but I'm also not ready to let him ride without one of us parents/adults watching out for him.

Anyways, hope you are having a great Easter day! And don't forget.. Every day is resurrection day, the past is over and gone! : )

1 comment:

Stephanie Bardal said...

It's so fun to hear what you, Wendell & Harlie are up to...can't believe how fast they are growing up, either!!
Don't know if it helps, but I remember when I was young, one of my good friends lost her mom to cancer. We had been praying so hard for God to heal her for months, so it was very hard to understand why God didn't answer. I remember my parents explaining that it wasn't that God didn't answer our prayers...just like my earthly parents would say no to some things (later bedtimes, riding bikes alone) because it wouldn't be good for me at that age, our Heavenly Father always hears our prayers, but also says no sometimes...the reasons for the no may not be something we understand so obviously or easily at the time, or ever (like a mom dying so young) but I also learned early on that God has more knowledge, understanding & power than I could comprehend, and no matter what answer my requests received, HE loves each of us & will always work to make things good, even when we feel like it is "bad".
Don't know if I explained that very well....or if a 4 year old will appreciate or get it, but just thought I would share how I learned to grasp the idea of prayers that seem to go "unanswered" may in fact just be the answer I wasn't wanting to hear...or when the answer was "not right now", that God was teaching patience and waiting on Him. Something that even as an adult can be hard!! :)