Sunday, April 17, 2011

gearing up.. working out

Still working out as usual and unbelievabley, loving it. Yesterday I did a 45 lap swim and found that my legs can create some serious power in the water. I got pretty worn down in the lungs and breathing but my body was ready to take off... which is very interesting because usually I'm a VERY slow swimmer. Then today, I went out and ran a new loop, down Ansborough, across back roads up to the park on Maynard, up 'cardiac killer' (the hill behind the park), down to the trails on my way out to George Wyth but turn on the Heartman Reserve trail and back up Hacket (not quite to the YMCA) known to me as the 'heart attack hill' and turned on Maynard to come back home. It was a strong 50 minute run, the longest I've ever ran. Tomorrow I'm gearing up for a chilly bike ride, possibly out on the highway depending on how long I go/how much time I have.






Swim, bike, run... see a pattern? I'm strongly thinking about doing the Olympic distance triathlon with Peregrine this year. The same race as last year only longer. Training wise I can almost do each distance (which I NEVER dreamed I could do), I just need to practice doing them all back to back. I probably won't commit yet as I want to check out some wet suite options.. if I buy a wet suit then I'm looking at doing this long term, which is fine with me.




And I just saw that the first open water swim will be in the middle of May. I'm so excited, although it will be a bit chilly at the rate we are going with this weather.




Anyways, anyone got any races they are looking forward to?

2 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I don't know if you know this, but Austin started training with the marathon team at church. We have agreed that he is committed to going through the half marathon at Sturgis Falls at the end of June. Then we'll evaluate how it's going as to whether he'll work towards the full marathon in September.

I have to admit, I'm not terribly excited about it, but we'll see how it goes.

Heather's Henhouse said...

Training can take a toll on you, and your family. Hopefully it goes smoothly and he enjoys it.. and it doesn't affect you too much. I'm sure it's tough with him already traveling a lot, and then be out exercising. It's hard finding a good healthy balance.