Friday, April 15, 2011

update on "the move"

Well.. it's been off my radar for so long I forgot to post about this. Phil and I have decided for this year that we are NOT going to try and sell our house. So here are the many reasons:

  1. most of the houses we looked at in our price range were not much better than what we have, or they were so much work to fix up that we felt it was not feasible with young kids (and our own inexperience)

  2. we couldn't decide on any particular location - we looked out of town, in town, this side of town, that side of town and nothing really seemed like a good fit

  3. I realized just how picky I am with buying the next house.. so picky that right now I prefer my house over what we looked at (yards, how the house is set up, location, etc.)

  4. if we upgraded then we may have to say no to some of the things we do now - basically all our "fun" money would become "a house payment" money so we kind of like our very low mortgage

  5. I have come to peace with living in our neighborhood and the schools (although undecided and slightly adventurous since we're not sure where Wendell will go to kindergarten with Edison closing)

  6. we really like our location - Phil and I are both fairly active with various things and we are right in the middle of all the action right now. We leave somewhat close to everything - church, work, trails, preschool, and the library

So here's what worries me:



  • not knowing where Wendell will go to school. It will probably be the new Black Hawk School but we don't know for sure as boundaries are not set (to my knowledge)

  • being stuck in this tiny house forever, never being motivated to sell and never being able to buy our "dream home"

  • the kind of families/kids that will be around our kids

Good thoughts:



  • I have met a few other moms in my "neighborhood" that seem perfectly normal (some not so much) so I'm excited to get to know them and have a little community in my own community.

  • I'm excited for feeling like we will be ministering when we start going to school. I know we are in a middle class neighborhood but I also know that our family is very "christian/family oriented" so hopefully we can be a role model and an encourager to some of the families in our neighborhood

  • I am looking at this as a mission from God, to feel peace and trust that his plan is better than mine.

  • Deep down, I feel like we will eventually move to the "east side".. but that is another post for another day.

2 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

I'm glad you've come to peace with the moving (or not moving) situation. You've peeked my interest in your moving to the east side comment.

charla said...

i am happy that you are happy to be there and not still stressed about it. i love your house. it is full of love.