Friday, May 27, 2011

doctor appointment

With all my whining lately I decided to go to the doctor and get a physical.. and because I complain about my regular doctor all the time I thought I'd try a new one, so I took a recommendation and went to someone new. I think I like her but she also gave a lot of referrals which I'm not so fond of... I'd rather just get answers.

Reason #1 back pain - my back hurts anytime I stand in one place for very long, I notice it when I'm on the phone, singing in church or standing at the park. Either way I've been to the chiropractor and they helped a little and so I thought I'd chat with the doctor. I also have pain off and on when I sleep but usually once I'm up then it's better. Her recommendation: x'ray and PT. So although it will probably cost me an arm and a leg, I got the x'ray just to make sure nothing is wrong. Then I plan to go to one PT appointment to get some exercises and hopefully something will come of that. Phil went through this procedure in the beginning of the year (for his shoulder) and it cost us about $1000, so I'm really hoping it doesn't rack up. More importantly, I hope it's just a muscle issue and there is no major disc issues or anything.

Reason #2 weight loss - you all know my sob story there so I'll just get to the answer of that. She is going to send me to a dietitian. She thinks that if I eat more protein and cut the carbs then I might loose weight. She also said I might have lost all the weight I can. She said looking at me that I look lean. She also said that like a lot of moms, I have extra skin around my tummy that most likely won't go away without a lot of work or surgery. She also measured my BMI to be 27 which isn't too bad, but my goal would be 25 or around 150 lbs.

Reason #3 fatigue - I'm tired often in the afternoons and there are many reasons for that. 1. I'm a mom. 2. I don't sleep that well at work or at home. 3. I don't get my favored 9 hours of sleep at night. 4. Sometimes, I have back pain when I do sleep. 5. I take a lot of recovery naps in the afternoon, causing a habit or addiction to napping in the afternoons. So I really think it's just life for me now but she decided to do some blood work to test my thyroid just to be safe.. I hope she tests my iron level as well but I forgot to ask.

So these 3 things consumed my appointment. I got the x'ray and blood test so now I wait for results. I meet with the dietitian next week, which I'm kind of excited about and then in two weeks I do PT, which I'm not so excited about unless it fixes my problem.. then I'll be happy!

Anyways, off to a relaxing weekend. I don't work and plan to sleep in the next three days! Maybe I'll try cutting some carbs just to see what happens.

1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

Heather I am glad you are moving in the direction of getting answers! You are already one of the healthiest eaters I know so I have a hard time seeing how a dietician will help. Good luck and I look forward to updates.