Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Angry Phil

Angry Phil (college days)





Happy Phil (current)





Hmmm.... happy most days anyways.

Sorry no cute pictures of Wendell. I guess I haven't taken too many lately.

For a wrap of June, I'd like to share that Phil and I did really good with 30 days of no sweets until this past weekend. Between homemade scotcharoo's, free dessert at a Danish restaurant, and then an assortment of desserts/pop at Pizza Ranch; we both gave in. Sunday was the worst day for me because at Pizza Ranch they have pudding, oreo whip cream dessert, dessert pizza, fountain pop and for the sake of it, dessert pizza again. So, today is our last day and I think we'll survive today and then we'll have to see what happens tomorrow. I will proudly say that I have not baked any homemade desserts or bought ice cream in the past 30 days and that is probably the worst of our addiction. Sunday was the only day I've had pop in the last 30 days and that was only one glass of cherry coke. I'm not sure what our next challenge will be but it will have something to do with snacking at night time. Overall, we've come a long ways compared to 5 years ago and we are pretty healthy eaters now.. fruits and veggies are mandatory at almost each meal.

Another update on napping (Wendell, not me). It's still been a struggle. If I go upstairs and lay down with him then it usually takes about an hour for him to fall asleep. Some days (like today) I just put up the baby gate so he can't leave the room and he plays. I know I should set a routine but it all depends on how much energy I have to give to it each day. I am convinced that he still needs a nap most days so I'm not really willing to give it up totally.

We've been traveling a lot and have a lot more to go but it also means we've been spending some good time with our families. Last weekend, we went to Phil's family back in Guthrie Center and we don't plan to return until Harlie is here. The next few weekends are with my family - Deep River then Des Moines, then Phil runs the Bix in Davenport, then camping up here somewhere with Phil's family.. then Harlie will be expected to arrive.

I'm planning on working right up to when she's born so we'll see what happens with that (labor at 3 in the morning when I'm at work?). I've already started filling out the paperwork for work and my leave time off. Right now, I'm planning to take 10 weeks off, then 4 half weeks, then back full time just in time for the holidays : ( During our road trips, Phil and I have been able to discuss a lot of upcoming events such as time off from work, plans for Harlie's arrival (hospital and at home), and what we need to get before she comes. It's crazy to think of all the decisions we have to make, especially when Phil and I have different opinions on a few minor things. Pretty soon, I will be making my final list before Harlie comes.. clothes, items needed, etc. I'm not quite at the exhausting stage of where I just want her here but I can tell it's coming. I think being busy on the weekends has helped me to keep my mind of all the typical worries which is good.

Hope you are all enjoying your summer. It's nice and cool today with a breeze blowing through our windows which is perfect! I love having my windows open with a bit of a chill in the air... not to cold or not to hot. Well, I think that's all for now!

No comments: