Monday, September 20, 2010

the dreaded is done

So if you recall a few posts back, I had something coming up that I "don't think about it, talk about it, just do it and get it done". Yeah, well the dreaded is done. What was it? And might I say I was really, really dreading this. I had the beeper for work. I have to do it once a year and last time I did it I got pulled to work a lot of the weekend, with a lot of different people, with a lot of different medications - the worst memory is having to sleep in the living room on a futon 0f in a small apartment of 4 highly functioning men, lets just say I hardly slept that night. Afterwards I let me imagination get the best of me but I think any woman having to sleep in a apartment with 4 men is kind of scary. Everything was fine but it was not something I want to relive.

So what was going to happen this year?

I got the beeper this past Friday and didn't I get called until Saturday morning for a 8am-4pm shift.. no big deal until I get called at 11am and informed that I have to do a 3rd shift awake. Meaning I had to work 10pm-8am and be awake the entire time at a MI group home with our most highly functioning people (smart cookies some of them are!). I honestly didn't think I could do it, I use to work a 3rd shift job and it was a struggle and now mother of two, sleepy Heather, years later... how would I manage? Well, I can only say that God was with me. Me and my ability to nap in the afternoons came in very handy. As I took a one hour nap Saturday afternoon and slept like a log. Then when I went to work Saturday night I took in 4 movies, a work out tape, a book, and a jigsaw puzzle. I was actually busy "working" until midnight so that made that time pass quickly. Then everyone went to bed and we are to encourage them to sleep so I had no one to keep me company. So I sat in the staff area watched TV and put my puzzle together. 500 pieces and about six hours later.. I had completed the puzzle and most of my shift. At 6am I was done with my puzzle and was just standing around.. I tried sitting and reading but almost fell asleep so at that point I was just walking around to stay awake. Funny thing is that I was fairly alert but once I let me guard down then I was totally wiped. Then my loving mom called at 7am and we chatted for awhile and then the people at the group home woke up and I had to finish my work. I got off at 8am, went home and slept until noon. Then I didn't get called again as I dropped the dreaded beeper off this morning. Now I work tonight but at least I can sleep!

If anything, I've learned that God puts us in what seems like impossible situations and then helps us through them.

1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

I'm a little behind on blogging but it appears you are very much on top of it! Anyway, I'm glad the dreaded beeper business is over with and all was pretty much ok. And hooray you didn't have that beeper on your triathlon weekend!!