Friday, October 22, 2010

fever II

That's what I'm calling it. Fever II. We have had a sick child the last 5 weekends in a row... and I'm loosing my patience. Week 1 was the triathlon and Harlie was vomiting all night, week 2 was Wendell vomiting 3 times in a night, week 3 was Wendell having a bad cough and running nose (requiring we use the nebulizer), week 4 (last weekend) Wendell had a fever, and now this weekend week 5, Harlie has a fever. Erggggg.......

So I wasn't very happy this morning at 1:30am when Harlie was crying. I asked Phil to check on her and he found a dirty diaper that we both had to work together to change because she was fighting it so much. She had a terrible case of diaper rash which has been an ongoing issue the past week (I think it's teeth, again). But with the dirty diaper we also could tell she had a fever and sure enough, the thermometer read over about 101 degrees.

I am feeling at loss. We have missed so many fun things that it is starting to make me angry and very isolated. Wendell visiting my parents for the weekend, going to the Omaha Zoo, visiting Phil's parents, watching the Des Moines Marathon, MMO, Sunday church, and this weekend, a birthday party.

I feel like we've been stuck at home the past two weeks, although we did get out for a bit on Wednesday and Thursday this week. And Phil and I have been sleeping poorly with all this sickness so that doesn't help either. I feel bad because I work this weekend meaning Phil has night duty on his own (for tonight at least). His parents are coming up tomorrow so his mom or dad might help out the next two nights while they stay. Either way, it's not fun getting up in the middle of the night to dish out medicine for a fever.

A small part of me feels like I shouldn't complain because this is the first time she's had a fever since she was born. We made it the first year with hardly any sickness. I suspect that now that I'm done breastfeeding (yes, we are done!) that she will get sick more often now.

But I am curious as to this.. now that she's sick, Harlie has her tongue sticking out almost constantly.. causing excessive drool. Any thoughts? As this is very unusual for her.












































2 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

First off...I am SO sorry to hear of all the illnesses. We miss you at MMO! Secondly, how weird! CJ came down with a cold this week (no fever, just a runny nose) and she has had her tongue hanging out a lot, too. Not often enough for drool to pool but it is unlike her to do that. I wish I had some advice to help you out. I'll say prayers for you and the family to get healthy and STAY healthy. Good luck!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I'm so, so sorry, Heather. I wondered when I didn't see you at MMO this morning. I pray that everyone will be well soon and you can get out and have some FUN!

I have no answer to the tongue thing, but I can sympathize with the drool! ;o) I bought a brand new 10-pack of bibs this afternoon. :op