Monday, October 25, 2010

good books

Last year I posted some of the books that I enjoyed reading and it's kind of nice to go back to see what made the list. Since then I have been keeping a list of books since then that I have read and enjoyed. Apparently this list is pretty old because I don't remember some of them, but, I had written them down so at some point I've read and enjoyed these books.

The Myth & Me by Leah Stewart (yep, don't remember this one)
The Nine Lessons by Kevin Alan Milne (Sarah - I think you might like this one)
The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (a very unique yet odd book - a bit disturbing)

And more recently...
Eve: a novel of the first woman by Elissa Elliott (a fiction book based on the Bible, culture and other history sources - mixed feelings on this one but it makes you think)
By Searching by Isobel Kuhn (this is a book in my possession that someone suggested I read about 20 years ago and I never gave back.. oopps!! Sorry about that... I'd give it back if I knew where she lived or could even remember her name... anyways, this is a book written by someone who was challenged by a professor in college who told this lady "you only believe in God because your mama and papa told you so".. or something like that. So it's her process of "searching" for God.
The Bible (ongoing) - I'm currently reading Acts and am really fascinated by the beginning works of the church and how it went from 12 disciples to spread like wild flowers across to places like Ethiopia.. and some of the decisions they made and why they made them - like whether or not to make non Jewish people get circumcised when they became believer or who should even be accepted into the "church".

What's next? Glad you asked! I have a stack of about 5-6 books on my basement steps that are either getting read and put back in storage, sent to Goodwill, or thrown in the burn pile. I love books but have determined that I really don't have to keep every book that was ever given to me...especially if it takes 20 years to read it. : )

2 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I read through Acts this summer and really enjoyed it. I also have a stack of books collecting dust on my headboard or under my bed. At the rate I'm going with them it's definitely going to take me 20 years! ;o)

Sarah Craft said...

Gotta love a post about good books!