Friday, October 15, 2010

sickness blues

We are going on almost four weeks of sickness around here. Harlie had the flu (vomiting) the weekend of the triathlon.. then I felt a small head cold and queasy that week but never really got sick. Then the next weekend Wendell got the flu (vomiting), then last Thursday Wendell started with a head cold and we had to cancel his plans to go stay at Grandma and Grandpa's for the weekend. He was coughing a lot and we had to give him some nebulizer treatments to help him breath. Then he seemed to be getting better when a fever kicked in this past Wednesday night. Thursday Phil stayed home from work as I was up part of the night coughing and couldn't sleep myself, and later had a head full of junk in the morning - hacking up flem (which totally grosses me out and makes me dry heave). Then I called in sick to work (you know I'm really sick when I call into work because I haven't called in sick in a very long time.. at least over a year.) At one point Wendell's fever got up over 104 and that is with medicine. He's already had two baths today so we tried an ice cream cone and not snuggling with mommy or a blanket. He has also run around 1/2 the day with only underwear on. Luckily for now, it went back down but one of us will have to get up in the middle of the night to check on him. (Phil my very loving husband volunteered to do this). So far Harlie only has a slight runny nose and Phil is not affected, lets hope that continues. I am starting to feel better but still not 100%. I did call the doctor today and they said this is going around and the fever could last 5 days... so two more days of this. So long story short, sorry not much blogging but we're just under the weather here. And quite frankly, sick of being sick.

The big bummer is that we had a big fun weekend planned. We were supposed to go to the Omaha Zoo with Phil's family this weekend. He had taken Friday off so we could drive to his parents in Guthrie Center, then go to the zoo on Saturday, then go watch the big Des Moines Marathon on Sunday and see Phil's Grandma who is in the hospital. But we are home some more.. we've been stuck at home since Wednesday. I'm hoping that we can at least go on a car ride this weekend, maybe out to Hickory Hills park or something to see leaves and get some fresh air. I figure as long as we're not in direct contact with people then we should be fine in our vehicle and maybe a little walking around. Phil might take Harlie down to Des Moines on Sunday to see his Grandma but we'll see, maybe by some miracle Wendell will be feeling better by then, but most likely not up for a long car ride. So we continue to watch tv, read books, play games and put puzzles together. And hope to not go stir crazy.. but more importantly not visit the hospital. Earlier today I was thinking of the people back in the 1800's who were helpless when this happened, at least I have a hospital that is close and easy to get to if needed. Anyways, enough depressing thoughts.... if you have a moment, please say a prayer for Wendell as this fever just doesn't want to go away.

**Sorry if there are proofing errors, I'm too tired to keep rereading...

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

So sorry, Heather! This has been a terrible fall for illness. Hopefully your family has caught it all and you will stay healthy the rest of the winter?!?!

Julie Ulven said...

I thought maybe you all were sick. Missed seeing you at MMO. Mieke had that fever virus about 2 years ago and it was awful. It lasted 7 days. I hope you all feel better soon.

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I wondered what had happened since I hadn't seen you around much. I hope everyone is getting better!