Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or treat?
















I have to be honest, I wasn't really feeling it this year for trick or treating. In the past we've gone to visit family and since this was our first free weekend in a long time we decided to just stay home this year. We couldn't decide what to do so at the last minute, we decided that I would take Wendell out trick or treating in our neighborhood and Phil and Harlie would stay back and hand out some treats. So at 6pm, I was at HyVee buying 5 bags of candy to hand out and then we rushed home to get started. But I have to say, this was one of the best times I have ever had with Wendell. He did a great job of walking up to each house, saying trick or treat and thank you, showing great enthusiasm with lots of smiles, being careful while walking around the streets, holding my hand when asked and knowing when it was time to go home. We went around our block to our neighbors (most who we sadly don't know) and then down the block to a "haunted yard" which he was excited about the blowing bubbles and "christmas tree lights". Everyone seemed to love his costume, which is hard to see in the pictures but he's a train. One of the first houses we went too had a guy answer the door in a mask. The mask had long grey hair and pasty, wrinkly, skin and some googly eyes... but Wendell so engrossed with the bowl of candy being handed to him, he didn't look up right away. When he did, Wendell just stared at the guy and I believe his thoughts were "hmm.. you are a strange looking fellow.. thanks for the candy" and we walked away. Another funny story was one person handing out candy had one of those bowls with a hand in it that will grab at your hand when you go for candy which is kind of scary when you don't know what to expect. I'm not sure if Wendell was scared or just stunned, but he just stood there frozen for a minute before he finally shook his head no and walked away. It was kind of cute but sad too... as kids can really get scared at this age. Anyways, we walked a block, trick and treated at our house and then did another block. We got enough candy to keep our whole family on a sugar high for the night (and probably the next week). When we were done then we hung out at home for awhile and two treaters came to the door. Wendell was outside looking at the pumpkins and all of sudden we heard his little voice say "come on in, you can have candy from here". Phil and I laughed at our little solicitor. So Wendell got to hand out some candy too. No one else came for awhile so we hopped in the car and went over to Phil's Aunt Mary Lou and Janice's house to show off the kids costumes. In the end, both kids were very excited to see and then eat so much candy. And of course, Phil and I indulged as well. Next year, I will be more excited... as I can't wait to see the smiles on my little pumpkins' faces.

2 comments:

Julie Ulven said...

How fun! I love the photo of Wendell at the door.

charla said...

the pics r all great! My fav is the one they r sitting on the steps