Saturday, December 11, 2010

bridesmaids dresses

1,2,3,4 ..and one from my own wedding. Yep, I own 5 bridesmaids dresses. I have always thought I would keep them in case I have a girl/girls (or boy) that want to play dress up and lately I've thought, why? 3 of them are so big that I hope they never fit me again.. or any of my children. They are so big that even dress up would be a drag. I thought, when will I ever wear them again? I will probably keep the one from my wedding because (even to this day) I liked them so much and it's fun for memory sake. And the one I wore this last summer would still fit but what ever will I do with it? and then the other three? One of them is really not my style, one is fine but not exactly the kind of dress I would wear anywhere and the last one is really neat and not really a dress but more a very dressy black outfit... but it's from my + size days so I don't plan to wear it again, even for maternity.

So.. any idea as to what to do with the old bridesmaids dresses? Any neat way to reuse them? other than taking them to Goodwill? Maybe save one for Halloween? Have Phil dress drag? : )

3 comments:

Julie Ulven said...

I gave up on saving bridesmaid dresses. Most of mine were just plain ugly. I do have one from our wedding --it was a size 23 just in case the pregnant bridesmaid needed more room.

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I've only been in two weddings--my sisters. One is still in the closet, and I'm not sure if it even fits. The other one never even made it home. The rouching in the front was coming apart and had to be sewn back together before the wedding even started and the bottom seam started to come out after getting snagged at the reception. It ended up in my parents' dumpster. :o) I have another dress for my college friend's wedding on New Year's Eve, but it is a basic long black dress that I could definitely use again.

I think I still have one of my prom dresses, though. It, too, was a basic black one and I've actually worn it a few times since then. It took me quite a few years, but I did get rid of the purple one. ;o) I think as soon as you feel like you're no longer emotionally attached it should go!

cobo said...

You could always donate them to the local school's theater department--you never know how they might be used in some production! That's my plan for the ones I just rescued from my mom's house (I'm Megan L.'s sister) and FYI I HAVE her purple prom dress!! :)