Friday, December 3, 2010

G-day

Yesterday was a big day for me. I tried to make gravy, yep G-day stands for Gravy Day. It's been a long time since I've tried since it's not really a talent of mine but after getting advice from a few people I was up to the challenge again. But before that I want to tell you about another day, that is Turkey Day. As some of you know one of my sisters is due to have twins in a few weeks so I thought I'd make some food for her for when the babies come. When I saw a coupon at Hy-Vee to buy a ham and get a free turkey, I couldn't refuse. So the ham was easy as it was precooked, and no bone. Slice and go. The turkey however was frozen and raw, like most turkeys. This turkey took me for a "cooking" ride. After talking to a few people and hearing "it's so easy" then I was up for the challenge. I could either bore you with all the details or I can bullet the event.. yes, it was an event.
  1. Thaw the turkey - this was suppose to take 2-3 days but my turkey liked being frozen so it took 4-5 days. The original cook day was planned for the Friday after Thanksgiving but with it being frozen I decided to wait until Monday after we returned from our holiday travels.

  2. Cook the turkey - this was actually pretty easy. I bought a $3 disposable roasting pan as I don't own a big one and did not want to buy one for a possible one time occasion. So I put in the turkey and some water, covered it with foil and baked at about 275 degree's for about 6 hours. I basted it off and on and checked on it but all went pretty well. I kind of had a hard time telling if it was done. I had a meat thermometer but it wasn't working so that didn't help. But they have this plastic thing in the turkey that popped out and I assumed that meant it was done. The thickest part of the turkey was done so I felt safe with the rest of it.

Taaadaaa!

  1. Eat the turkey - so as I said I gave most of the meat to my sister but I did keep some for myself as I wanted to try it out in case I wanted to make it again. So the meat part is pretty easy, but then I got advice on what to do with the rest of it. Some of this might gross you out but trust me, it is really good. I took the leftover bones and simmered them in water (about 1/2 the pan) for 2 hours. Drain the leftover water into a bowl and you have homemade turkey broth, which I later made a soup. I will admit I did not eat the giblets and neck, apparently some people love these parts but I declined the delicacy. So onto the grand finale - the gravy! I took the juice out of the roasting pan and put it in a plastic container (after it cooled off) and put it in the fridge. Last night I took the fat off the top and then used the bottom jello-ish stuff to make gravy. And it turned out delish! I won't bore you with the details but if you ever make a turkey and want some ideas then let me know as I'm always happy to share.

For the first time in my life I made one of Phil's favorite meals. Opened faced sandwiches with all the fixin's. I lucked out and had some texas toast on hand, and then did a slice of turkey, a mound of tators, smothered in gravy. And some butternut squash on the side. He said it was one of the best meals I've ever cooked. Yum, yum!

My next challenge: try the same thing only with a whole chicken instead.... I'll keep you posted. Hat's off to gravy day, it was a success!

3 comments:

charla said...

You are making me hungrier!

Sarah Craft said...

I'm glad it turned out so good!! And congrats on making Phil's fav meal. Doesn't that make cooking feel so worthwhile?!

Heather's Henhouse said...

Yes! Definetly worth my time and energy.