Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bible reading

So I've decided to tackle reading the Bible again.  It kind of all timed out well (God maybe : )  I really like reading a little bit everyday during 'quiet' time.  I actually did this a few years ago and I think it took me over 2 years to read the Bible but man it felt good to say I did it.  To honor God by learning about him and also having the discipline to do it almost every day.  It became a habit and one I really enjoy.  Well, after a year or so of reading hit and miss books about God, reading random/sporadic parts of the Bible or following what our church was doing, I decided that I need to get in the book again.  I like just reading a paragraph or two so I can really take it in and not feel overwhelmed.  Now this round, a friend of mine gave me a new Bible she didn't need and since my old one is marked up and falling apart then the timing is perfect to start fresh.  I'm also excited as this time I have a Bible commentary to help me understand some parts better.  As a deep thinker, I have a good set up.  I've also found an older experience woman from the church who I can email questions too.  So, oddly enough, I'm very excited to dive in again. 

But the reason I'm posting isn't about this new adventure.  It's about what I'm learning and seeing.  I love sharing and hope that maybe this can motivate you as well to think about reading God's good word. 

So here's what I've read this week that I'm super excited about.

1. Genesis - I feel like I've read this so many times... 'in the beginning God created... blah blah blah'.  But this time I thought I'm going to go to you tube and see what comes up and found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgp2_Rcc80
And not only did I not just find this pretty neat, visual video (and there is more than one), I just happened to watch it right before Wendell got home from school.  So I was pretty excited to see it and then I showed it to him.  Now how cool, to show your kid something like this to help understand who God is and what he did.

2. blessings - the first blessing was when God created animals.  The first life.  Our commentary says this is appropriate because a blessing is the giving of life.  Blessings are interesting and odd but also very neat, something our culture isn't used to, but definitely something God felt was important.

3. sleep - I was reading about Adam and Eve in the commentary and it pointed out that sleep was a time that God 'spoke' to a lot of men.  At first it doesn't sound right but then it points out some examples.  (Adam, Abe, Jacob?, Joseph?, and the wise men) I'm sure there are more but it was odd to think about how important this is.  ** lately I've been wondering what it looks like when we sleep, how does God see all these people who are generally sleeping at the same time?  how odd how we must have sleep but yet it seems kind of useless.

4. a blessing - Phil has taken on 'blessing' the kids when they go to bed and school.  Today I read a part that could be a blessing so I wrote it down so I can bless the kids later. 
May you be like a tree planted along the riverbank; bearing fruit each season, your leaves never withering and may you prosper in all you do.   (Psalm 1:3) 

Anyways, that's all for now.  I will try and post more as I embark on a new adventure!

1 comment:

charla said...

Will have to check the video out. Did not realize there was anything like that on utube.