Tuesday, January 29, 2013

more books

I've been reading more books and loving my Goodwill stack of surprises!

Just finished English by Wang Gang.  A memoir of growing up in China.  This man had a very tough childhood as they were very violent.  Kind of an odd book but still good to read.

What do you do all day? by Amy Scheibe is a book about a stay at home who lives in New York City.  Nothing personal to the author but it was a bit trashy for me but I did finish it so it made the list.

Miracle at St. Anna by James McBride was very educational in a fiction way as it talked about the Buffalo Soldiers of WW II.  After reading it I learned there was a movie made out of it which is neat.  The book was a bit odd but in the end a good read; the movie was okay but did follow the book well.

My favorite of them all was The Dive From Clausens' Pier by Ann Packer.   This book was written from a young woman's perspective.  Her boyfriend got a brain/spinal injury from diving off the pier and she had to work through the issues of the now what?  It makes you question how you would handle this life altering event.  Although I don't condone all she does, it was written in a way that was easy to read.  It kind of reminders me of the Tayler Morris story.

Anyways, that's it for now. I will now take my usual day off from reading and then start a new one in a few days.

Some other books I've been picking through are...

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman - I've read this before but it's been awhile so Phil and I plunged in and read it with another couple.  Nothing too shocking or exciting but it's fun to talk with to other people who have read it AND it's been fun getting the kids involved and learning about them.  This book was a big contributor in our family mission statement: fillin' love tanks, yep that it's 'filling love tanks.  So simple but neat.. filling Gods', each others/family, friends and strangers' love tanks.

Two more books I'm picking through The Explosive Child by Ross Greene and Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner and Carey Nieuwhof.  Ironically they both have a similar themes, listen to your kids and talk to them about the problems.  Don't just try rule them, respect them and it will come back to you.

On the horizon are two books JESUS CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership by Laurie Beth Jones.  I had started this last year but had to return it to the library, I liked it so much I bought myself lf a copy so I can pick through at my leisure.  And Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life which I've also read before but we are going to read it through with another couple.

That's enough for now... now I just have to figure out what to do with my old fiction books (from above).  Any other readers out there that would want them?  Or have ideas?





No comments: