Tuesday, January 29, 2013

more of the Word

Here's a few tidbits from my latest readings.

1. 'the first worship' was mentioned in Genesis.  I believe that after Adam and Eve ate the apple, the decline of 'walking with God' began.  So the progress from 'walking with God' to 'worshiping a more distant God' began.  I can see God being happy yet saddened by that moment.  Happy to receive honor and praise, but to not have the same companionship would be a heartbreaker.

2. This is just a thought but I've been stewing (hah!) over the issue of not eating meat.  This isn't the first time I've thought about NOT eating meat but now it's almost like the perfect storm.  First off, I have a co-worker who talks about being vegetatarian so I have access to an experienced person.  Then recently, reading the OT and how God blessed the living creatures... and later talks about an eye for an eye and my commentary says very clearly this was about prevention not consequences .. just makes me think about me not eating meat would be the prevention of the taking of life.  And lastly, and oddly, we recently watched the GREAT movie How to Train a Dragon and it had a part where the little dragon's are carrying off all the livestock to the 'mother dragon' and in the movie it makes you mad because the little dragons are stealing from the people but really.. the big one is just eating it too.  I feel like I'm the 'mother dragon' and I could stop the stealing of the 'livestock'.  

Now with this said, I realize my thinking is a bit out there but I am not the only one to ponder this.  So I'm thinking about starting a new 30 day challenge and trying to NOT eat meat for 30 days.  What can it hurt? It also dives into the thoughts of eggs, milk, etc.. and it's a bit overwhelming.  Phil and I have already had some good discussion on this and I'm sure it'll continue.  I'm so glad to have a supportive husband, although he will not be partaking in the journey.  Any thoughts from out there?

3. Psalms - for some reason, I am just not a big fan of these.  I want to know who wrote it, why, who they're talking to, and what are they really trying to say.  So, as I read through these little bits at time.. I will wonder what in the world were they thinking?      : )

4. Proverbs 1:9 What you learn from them (your parents) will crown you with grace and be a chain of honor around your neck.  Makes me hope that I can be this kind of parent. Also gives me strength as I make tough choices.

5. Enoch - such a strange and wondrous guy.  All we know is he walked with God (quite a while after the fall) and God just took him.  What did this guy do that was so special?  He's a role model we don't know much about.

6. Isn't it odd how long people lived in the OT?  A common dispute among people..  what do you believe, did they really live that long?

That's all for now!

No comments: