Wednesday, March 30, 2011

another round of 'good' books

So one of my goals for this year was to read more fiction/fun books. For some odd ball reason I like to keep track of books I've read and liked (which is helpful when someone asks for a recommendation). So here's what I've been reading the past few months:



  • Maggie's Story by Dandi Daley Mackall - this is a christian fiction book with a modern day version of when Jesus came to earth. This one just felt odd but really made me think about how I would feel if Jesus came today or how I would have responded to Jesus 2000 years ago.

  • If you remember I wrote a post awhile ago about books I read as a kid. In the mean time I've found a few and have been rereading; and enjoying them.. even if they are in the youth department. The Indian in the Cupboard, Return of the Indian, The Secret of the Indian, and I Houdini; all by Lynne Reid Banks - these are very imaginative books and fun/adventure. I'm not done with the last one yet but so far it's just as entertaining as the others. ** I hope to read these to Wendell some day (I tried but he's not quite ready yet).

  • Summer of Light by W. Dale Cramer - this is considered a christian fiction, but I didn't see much christianity in it. It's about a man who looses his job and kind of gets forced to be a stay-at-home dad. It was pretty good so it made the cut.

  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett - this is a fiction book about the african american women who where the housekeepers/nannies of caucasian women down in the south, I believe it was during the 60's. Very interesting stories that were good and bad; it's a bit of a heart breaker but it felt very "real". ** of the books listed, this one was my favorite (thanks to Sarah for the recommendation!)

What's next? I have a few more christian fiction book from the church library sitting on mys shelf, and then some more youth fiction - A Wrinkle in Time, maybe some Little House on the Prairie and Grapes of Wrath. Whatever comes my way... let me know if you have any recommendations. I'm always looking for some fun easy reads.

No comments: