Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

We usually don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day except to wear the token green so we don't get pinched. But this year thanks to Phil we had a little fun with our meal and made some traditional Irish food. The first picture is dessert and I made "shamrock shakes" (it doesn't look very green in the picture, probably because I didn't add a lot of food coloring). The main meal was more traditional. We had reuben's - rye bread, corn beef, swiss cheese, sour kraut and Russian dressing. I also made colcannon potatoes - basically mashed potatoes with cooked cabage and a leek. Then I made regular cole slaw with the left over cabbage. The reuben was very interesting and distinct tasting, the potatoes were okay but we probably won't make them again and the cole slaw was delicious. The shake was the best of all but I also love ice cream.

I should have taken a picture of us in our green. I squeezed Harlie in a tiny 12 month tshirt that was so tight but the ONLY green shirt I could find. Wendell looked normal in his and I had a green sweatshirt on. It got hot so I took it off and next think I know Phil and Wendell are pinching me.. and Wendell was loving it.





So Happy St. Pat's day! It's an interesting holiday when you look at the back ground. Hope you had some fun too... now we need to start thinking of April fools day : ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Day

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

I'm really not a fan of ruebens but everythings looks great! Especially that shamrock shake! Happy St. Patty's Day to you too!

Heather's Henhouse said...

Normally I don't like swiss cheese, corned beef or rye bread but when you mix it all together then it was actually pretty good yet different tasting. I think having it toasted like grilled cheese made it better too. Phil had one in a restaurant last night and said that our homemade one was MUCH better so maybe that helps too. Anyways, it was good and fun to try!

charla said...

ruebens are not my thing, but i bet gma e would love that meal,looked good