Thursday, March 10, 2011

God's money?

Our money or God's?

A few weeks ago we made a quick stop at Wal-mart right before church. Unknowingly, our collection of tithe envelopes (5 as we forget them often) had fallen out somewhere. We did not realize it until we actually got to church and had sat down. I stayed at church while Phil went to Wal-mart to look for them.... while it took two trips and some phone calls they did find them and we got them back. (Last week I was able to actually turn them in safely.) But back to my story.. both Phil and I discussed our emotions of losing 5 checks made out to our church and both of us felt a peace knowing it was God's money, not ours. He (God) can do with it as he pleases but in the end we were very grateful to find them and get them to our church... on less thing to think about.

But my story doesn't end there. So a few days after the incident I kept thinking about how we both felt at peace about how that was "God's money" not ours so it didn't matter. But it made me think, what if it had been a check that was "our money"? And it made me ask. isn't all our money God's money? We are just stewards.

I think this was a planned "discussion" in my head because yesterday we received a blow in the mail. A $1000 (yep, one thousand dollar) bill in the mail for Phil's one x-ray and then 6 weeks worth of physical therapy. I will say we haven't called insurance yet but I'm pretty sure they'll say that money will be applied to our deductible and we will have to pay it.

So, with many emotions in my head I am trying to remind myself that it's God's money, not mine. I'm glad we have a savings account but I guess if this is what God wants to spend $$ on then so be it. I have handed the bill to the bill payer in the house and hope to never see it, smell it, or think about it again.

I guess just another reminder that we probably can't afford to move soon as I had planned last year... that will be another post.
One last note, I am very frustrated with our society's health insurance. Why do I have to call EVERY time I do something new to see what insurance covers before I actually make an appt., see a new doctor, get a test done or get a prescription? I had to pick up a prescription for Harlie today and was scared to death what the cost would be. I really had no idea how much iron drops cost, turns out it was $10 but do I have to call EVERY time before I do something to make sure I'm not going to get a giant bill? I did call my chiropractor to make sure I wasn't going to get a big bill and they assured me I wouldn't.. I should have gotten it in writing : ) Now I'm paranoid... and will be for about 2 years and once I start to relax it will happen again.

I just have to remind myself.. God's $, not mine. God's $, not mine. God's $, not mine. And my reward is in heaven, not here.

1 comment: