Tuesday, February 22, 2011

books from the old days

So the other day I was thinking about some of the books I read in school when I was a youngin'; some I liked some I didn't like so much. And I thought I should read them to Wendell. So I went to the library looking for one book, The Indian in the Cupboard. They had it but I was surprised that it's more like a novel with only a few pictures. Unfortunately, he hasn't handled me reading it to him very well as it doesn't have many pictures. Today he requested that I return it to the library (something he has never done before). But since I already got it from the library then I might just read it myself before returning it. And down the road, I might just look into borrowing the movie and then maybe I could get Wendell to watch with me.

When I was really little, I know my brother loved the book A Cowboy Can. It took me a few years to finally track it down and when I did, I bought a copy for my brother, sister, and myself for Christmas one year, as we all have children. So now I get the fun of reading that book to Wendell knowing I read it as a kid.

Another book I remember reading and liking was A Wrinkle in Time. I really don't remember much at all about it but I know I liked it. So I might just get that one next just to see what my young brain was up to back in the day.

One last book, in high school, I read The Grapes of Wrath. And I did not really care for that book. But for old times sake, it might make #3 on my list. What the heck, if I read it again, I might just understand the book... and the parts about the turtle crossing the road.

I also read choose your own adventure, Stephen King, and the Babysitters Club but none of those really sound interesting anymore. Maybe I'll look for a choose your own adventure at the library as that is something Wendell might like, as long as it has pictures.

Anyways, it's been fun going down memory lane. Do you have any fun books you remember reading as a kid?

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

I'll have to look into those books. I've been reading about the Indian in the Cupboard, and yesterday Wendell and I watched the movie. Before I even started the movie he said he didn't like it. But once the movie started he watched the whole thing with no complaint... silly boy. (But the movie wasn't as good as the book, as usual).