Thursday, February 24, 2011

study of Luke

Our church is doing a group read through parts of Luke. Reading through it has made me think about some things as a mom and I wanted to share some thoughts with you (with hopes of getting feedback).

1. Here are some verses that are sticking out to me (in short condensed Heather version):
  • if someone slaps your cheek, give them the other
  • if someone wants your shirt, give them your coat
  • don't run from suffering - self sacrifice (for Jesus and his commands)
  • Mary vs. Martha - Mary at Jesus' feet/Martha the little homemaker

2. It all started with "love your enemy" and as I sat there in church I had to think, who is my "enemy"? On that day, I felt like (don't laugh or call DHS) my kids, my work, and myself were my greatest enemies that day.

3. The past weeks of meeting with my accountability partner, I've been asked: have I been totally honest? (with my kids) Have I been kindhearted, gentle, gracious and merciful to others? (my kids)

So, my point? I feel like God is telling me that as a mom I need to be so loving and kind and generous all the time... but, I can't image what would happen if I let Wendell slap me and then I said here you go, do it again. Or if Wendell asked to play with me 5 times that day and when he asked 10 I just kept giving to him. Or if I didn't take some time for myself - took a break from being the loving all giving mom and didn't just spent some time alone. Or if I didn't do the dishes, cook supper, vacuum the crumbs up. Or what If I was totally honest with Wendell all the time? When he asks me why we have to leave the library (because of Harlie). Why I need privacy sometimes? Why I need a break sometimes? Then I ask, have I been kind hearted? Well, when Wendell wasn't getting ready for school this morning and I had to tell him several times to eat, get shoes on, get coat on - no I wasn't so kind hearted... I was the first 3 times but it wasn't working so grumpy loud voiced demanding mom came out (that didn't work so well either but sometimes it does)... being nice doesn't always work. What would happen if I was all loving, kind, generous? And what do we do when that doesn't get results? At what age do I make that switch where I am this kind of mom? Age 10, 20, 30? Ever?

So christian moms... what is God telling me? For anyone else reading/has read through Luke, what has God told you?

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Those are some really deep thoughts!

I think it is a good exercise to think about your "enemies". And kids can definitely be on that list sometimes! However, I don't think that loving your kids equates to letting them walk all over you. In fact, the opposite is true. Sometimes love comes in the form of tough love.

I also don't think you are expected to be in sacrificial love mode all the time. If you don't stop and take care of yourself you won't be in a position to love at all.

As far as the honesty thing goes, I think it's all about being age-appropriate. I don't think it's good to tell all-out lies, but kids don't always need to know all the details of everything.

One of the things that has stuck out to me this week in Luke is the verse about taking up your cross daily. The word "daily" really stuck out to me. It isn't in the Matthew version of that verse, which is probably more often quoted. It got me thinking about the fact that it's not a one-time or once-in-awhile deal. It's everyday. Along with taking up your cross every day is asking for your portion of grace, kindness and generosity. It's God's way of reminding us that we are completely reliant on him.