Saturday, February 12, 2011

a face lift

This week I tackled a project that I've wanted to do for the last few months. What started off as a loose string on our old rug in our bathroom became a major face lift. So deciding to buy new rugs in our bathroom (while Christmas shopping) we decided to do some painting to freshen up our look. We really like the dark blue but it needed some brightness so to save on some energy and $$, I just painted one side a light blue (left over from when we painted Wendell's room) and left the rest the same old blue. So for "decoration" I painted some fish.. that look very childish but they're fun. Some look "mad" as Wendell calls them the "mad fish". He's right, they do look mad (the bigger ones by the basket). The best part was that I also put a new floor down. Just plain linoleum but I did it myself.. yep. I had a little help from my dad with getting the toilet off (and back down), which is much easier than you would think. So I pulled the trim around the floor, cut the linoleum myself and then put the trim back down. I painted myself too. So although it's not perfect, I can proudly say I did most of it myself. So if you ever need help, let me know as I can now say I know how to take off a toilet and put one back down (requires a wax ring - the most disgusting looking thing), and how to cut out linoleum. Next project: replacing linoleum squares on our basement laundry room floor... this one should be easy, like putting stickers down. This one Phil plans to help with : ) . Phil's current project was recaulking the shower downstairs.. eek.. not a fun job but we might have figured out how to fix our leak in the corner of our shower stall so hopefully that problem is solved. We'll know soon as the new caulk goes on tomorrow... and a good hot shower to follow.
















3 comments:

charla said...

i abosolutely love, love, love it!!!!!!

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Very cute! Your fish look great!

Sarah Craft said...

What a great job, Heather! I'm super impressed you did the flooring all by yourself. (Or mostly by yourself.) Either way, I'm inspired. Matt and I have been talking aboout tackling a similar project at our house so I may have to ask you for advice. :)