Monday, November 14, 2011

more books, more reading

The latest reads.
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender - interesting book about a young girl who starts to notice she can taste the emotions of whoever makes the food.  So her moms makes her a cake and she can taste the sadness and loneliness of her mom.  It's kind of an odd story line but also creative.  In the end I would say it was an odd book and okay.. not a great read.

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow - a book about a girl who is bi-racial.  She was raised to be "white" until she is forced to move in with her "black" grandma.  It's a very sad book as it goes into how people treat her, what they expect of her and also her sad story about why she is forced to live with her grandma.  It was good and educational but sad.  For some reason I have a particular interest in reading about African American people so this book was right up my alley.

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman - a mystery!  I don't remember ever reading a mystery.  This was about a pregnant woman who is stuck on bed rest or as the author puts it "being held hostage by a terrorist.. the agenda is unclear, the demands vague, to be held for at least 2 months [on bed rest], then 12 weeks to 18 years, depending on how you look at it".  This book definitely had a sense of humor.  But like this statement, I had to read some parts about three times to understand what she was saying.  An okay book.. fun to read something different.

The rest of my books are due back today so who knows what's next.  I have two that I didn't get too so I might try and renew them.   We'll see.. off to the library I need to go, very soon!

Let me know if you have any good recommendations!

1 comment:

Becky Bartlett said...

Redeeming Love... have you read that yet? Also The Help was really good & would be right up your alley, too! Have you read any of the Karen Kingsbury stuff? I haven't read much, but have a bunch of friends that like her. I admire all your reading!